Help ID Possible Parasites on Potter's Angelfish

humuhumu787

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I need help identifying something on my Potter's Angel please!

I purchased my Potter's Angel on 01/16. He is in a 30 gallon QT, Aqueon HOB Filter, Whisper air pump, some plastic pots for cover and a small piece of live rock because many say that they will only graze. Weekly 15-20% water changes.

I have never had the chance to get a really good look at him until yesterday (skittish, always hides) and I noticed two rather large white things dangling off his sides somewhere between his fins and gills. They appear on both sides. I panicked and immediately dosed PraziPro, added the air pump and am observing. I assumed flukes, but am suspicious because these are large, white, and I do not see any signs of distress.

I have yet to see him actively eating, but I replace the nori in his clip every 4-5 days and I see large green poos on the QT bare bottom so I assume he is eating. I also chuck in live brine every morning and I don't see them later in the day. Again, large green poos so I am assuming no intestinal issues or internal parasites (yet) but have ordered Metroplex, Focus, and Copper Power online just in case.

I am wary of doing a FW dip, hoping someone here can help me ID what they may be. Could be a feature of the fish? I have never had a Potter's and have only had unfortunate experiences with a couple of Flame Angels. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Please find below some pictures and video.

IMG-9861.jpg IMG-9863.jpg IMG-9871.jpg IMG-9884.jpg IMG-9885.jpg IMG-9891.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-9919.MOV
    20.8 MB
OP
OP
H

humuhumu787

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circled the white things in these pictures

Attachments

• IMG-9861.jpg
    IMG-9861.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-9863.jpg
    IMG-9863.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-9871.jpg
    IMG-9871.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-9884.jpg
    IMG-9884.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-9885.jpg
    IMG-9885.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-9891.jpg
    IMG-9891.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 25

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Those are opercular spines and are normal for pygmy angelfish. Sometimes, when they are caught in a net, the skin gets rubbed off of them making them stand out more, looking whitish.

Don't forget, Hawaii recently placed a ban on collecting marine ornamentals, and potter's are endemic there, so don't buy one no that the ban is in place.

Jay

OP
OP
H

humuhumu787

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!!! I just breathed a huge sigh of relief.
I actually live in Hawaii and was so fortunate to have purchased mine as one of the last left in stores.

I am really on the fence about treating with medications and would at least like to see him eating before doing anything prophylactic. I have read that they do not ship well but since I am in Hawaii as well, I am hoping it is not as stressed and that I can see it eating.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back