Help id what's wrong with my Spiney Box Puffer plz!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salt grains and sand are not that different. Depending on the type of sand or salt. It doesn’t seem helpful

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming he's probably gonna be done any day now.
I'm sorry to hear that. I think that you got some poor advice here. I have never heard that it is ok to use copper/cupramine on a puffer. That is why CP is the recommended treatment. I used the commercially available stuff from National Fish Pharmacy. I truly hope he pulls through. They are tough as nails.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 Well I appreciate your input but someone else has already chimed in and gave a more detailed response. Someone more knowledgeable than me. I guess I should not have been giving my input unless I new more.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There is no definition as to what 'salt grain' size is - and there is no definition as to what 'sand grain' size is. there is no definition as to what 'salt grain' size is - and there is no definition as to what 'sand grain' size is. There is a lot of sand around here that is larger than a grain of salt - and there is a lot thats smaller. I just meant its not helpful.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left him in therapeutic copper for 14 days. At that time, I done wc and added carbon to system. He ate a day or 2 after that and hasn't ate since. Going on 3 weeks. I just done another 40% wc Sunday. Still will not eat. Tried frozen shrimp, lrs reef frenzy, brine, krill, and live rosy reds and live feeder guppies. Hasn't touched them. The shrimp he used to eat like crazy now spits it out. And tried pellets also.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No white spots! I'm feel pretty confident the velvet is gone.

I would run carbon to pull out any residuals from the copper and improve overall water quality.

Most puffers I have treated seem to really love eating those little glass (freshwater) snails. Petco will usually just give them to you, as they are considered a pest.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of freshwater snails are you referring too? Do you happen to have a pic?

See below. They are very small, brown, and are usually seen on the glass or on a plant. Their eggs will often hitchhike in on a plant, and many people buy clown loaches or a raphael catfish to eat them. Can you tell I used to work at a LFS that sold freshwater fish too?? ;) I would feed ours to the SW puffers to keep their beaks trimmed. :D

DSC06132[1]%20snails%20and%20weed.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back