Help id what's wrong with my Spiney Box Puffer plz!

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just read this thread and trying to understand. Bottom of page 1, OP posted pictures of puffer with a bunch of white flecks and everyone diagnosed it as Velvet. But I thought small white flecks on a fish is sign of Ich? Are they both small white flecks? If so, how would you know which?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just read this thread and trying to understand. Bottom of page 1, OP posted pictures of puffer with a bunch of white flecks and everyone diagnosed it as Velvet. But I thought small white flecks on a fish is sign of Ich? Are they both small white flecks? If so, how would you know which?

Both are small white flecks, so it can be confusing.

Ich spots are generally salt-grain size, as Chiefmaster30 noted, and relatively fewer in number - you can probably count them. They also sometimes take on an oval shape.

Velvet can look more like a dusting of powdered sugar - very fine, and too numerous to count. Additionally, velvet will often trigger behavioral symptoms; hiding from the light, or swimming into the flow of a powerhead for gill relief. Velvet is by far the faster killer of the two, so requires immediate attention.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't gotten any live foods to try til Sunday but.. is this normal for fish to not want to eat frozen after cupramine treatment. They were eating frozen fine with no problems for close to 3 months beforehand.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't gotten any live foods to try til Sunday but.. is this normal for fish to not want to eat frozen after cupramine treatment. They were eating frozen fine with no problems for close to 3 months beforehand.
Hopefully he starts eating again. I've always said that puffers don't tollerare copper. Maybe it's a reaction to that.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my other fish are eating except for the spiney box puffer and panther Grouper. The others are a Tomato Clownfish, Clown Trigger, and 3 Striped damsel.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I hope so! They have neither one ate in over a week. The puffer was spitting it out but now don't even act interested. I even used feeding stick and smacked him between the eyes with it gently to try to get a reaction. Swimming and acting fine besides that. Could they have something else bacterial or something causing this?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A panther grouper not eating?

Wow that's not good. If you MUST, live fish work wonders... then I move to freeze dried krill.. then krill.. then other foods.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well spiney box puffer still has not ate. Only thing live my lfs had was Rosy reds and feeder guppies and he hasn't shown no interest at all in them. Any more ideas to get this fish to eat. I can't find clams nowhere. Have called every grocery store in Manchester, Tn.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, you'll probably need an actual antibiotic. Kanaplex, furan2, erythromycin are all good ones.

Question. Since erythromycin works mostly on gram positives (even in an alkaline environment). Why would it be considered as good as kanamycin which is more a broad spectrum antibiotic with significant gram negative coverage? Thought most cases of fin. rot were due to gram negqtives

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back