Help ID

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This lil guy appeared in my tank... not 1 of the ones I remember putting in. I believe it might have been born in the tank. I know I posted a picture before of what someone identified as snail eggs, but also mentioned they never hatch. Can this possibly be the result? Also what type of snail is this (in case it's a hitchhiker and not offspring of what I already have) thanks.

20210101_131649.jpg

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, definitely not 1 I purchased... are they considered pest? Thank you for the ID!
They are definitely hitchhikers but I wouldn't call them a pest. They are reef safe, however, they might breed a lot. (although I'm not 100% about them breeding a lot, they might breed but not often.)

OP
OP
Digitalfirex

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are definitely hitchhikers but I wouldn't call them a pest. They are reef safe, however, they might breed a lot. (although I'm not 100% about them breeding a lot, they might breed but not often.)
After google ing its mixed reviews. Some say they are good as they scavenge, eat algea and detritus in the tank. Others say they can prey on other snails ... hmmm

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After google ing its mixed reviews. Some say they are good as they scavenge, eat algea and detritus in the tank. Others say they can prey on other snails ... hmmm
Better snails then coral I guess. But if you are worried then remove it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back