Help identify algae/bacteria on sand bed

Noobreefer84

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Messages
46
Reaction score
17
Location
Vancouver
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to get some advice on what is on my sand bed. As well as what to do about it, if anything.

Couple things to note.
I just siphoned out my Fiji Pink sand cause my flow had it blowing all over. So it is now Caribsea Special Grade.

My nutrients bottomed out mostly likely because of replacing the sand.

Was:
Alk: 8.6
Cal: 520
Mag: 1140
Phos: 0.00
Nitrate: 0.00

Fixed/adjusted today:
Alk: 9
Cal: 400 (slightly reduced daily dosing)
Mag: 1350 (dosed)
Phos: somewhere between 0 and 0.25 (need a better tester)
Nitrate: 4.6 (dosed brightwell)

I’m going to continue testing nitrate every 3 days and dose as needed until I get it stabilized. I have increased feeding as of 2 days ago.

Not sure if the image below is just algae or bacteria from my nutirents hitting zero.

IMG_7665.jpeg
 
System was set up early oct. Sand changed out. Dec 26. I haven’t hit an ugly stage yet since I set it up. But I did move over a bunch of bio blocks from a 4 year old tanks sump and they are in my rear chamber. So it’s probably prolonged the uglies a bit longer than normal.
 
System was set up early oct. Sand changed out. Dec 26. I haven’t hit an ugly stage yet since I set it up. But I did move over a bunch of bio blocks from a 4 year old tanks sump and they are in my rear chamber. So it’s probably prolonged the uglies a bit longer than normal.
Welcome to the ugly stage
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new