Help identify this snail

Gsxr440

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2024
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Location
riverside county
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This snail does nothing but eat my snails .
I got it from a home shop as part of a clean up crew .... need help identifying this snail and if I should get rid of it ....thank you
Hard to get really good photos in the position it's in hope they work

20241021_171636.jpg 20241021_171645.jpg 20241021_171651.jpg
 
If it does nothing but eat your other snails, it's a predatory snail.

Just curious what would be the purpose of keeping it? Most people put the predatory ones in their sump if they keep them.
 
I'm still relatively new to reefing and still learning . All the help I can get from everyone here is very much appreciated...
 
No worries. It's a good place to ask questions. I just wasn't sure if you had a reason you wanted to keep it.
 
This snail does nothing but eat my snails .
I got it from a home shop as part of a clean up crew .... need help identifying this snail and if I should get rid of it ....thank you
Hard to get really good photos in the position it's in hope they work

20241021_171636.jpg 20241021_171645.jpg 20241021_171651.jpg

Looks very similar to what we call a mulberry whelk. Yep - it's a predator.

1729560213707.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new