Help Identifying a few things

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to Saltwater and currently in late cycle phase my readings this morning were less than 0.25 Ammonia, less than 0.25 Nitrite when I say less than on my test colors they were not quite 0 but not quite 0.25 and 0-5 Nitrate..Can someone help identify this growth? My main concern is should I move this rock to receive more light? This was live rock from an established tank at my LFS that was all in a trough. I turned the lights off and all the little tree like parts retreated, turned lights back on and they popped back out.
B75F299D-71DC-42F2-A3D9-FBB0693D05AE.jpeg
A0ADC36E-57C1-4A13-880D-AE2AC8EDF3CF.jpeg

My second ID question is in next photo......I am assuming these are a star of some sorts as they hide in light and come out in dark. I’ve seen 3 and they all look the same. Does this look to be a species I need to rid the tank of or leave alone? This rock was given to me by a friend and they have a Harlequin Shrimp which they feed Choc Chip Star to so maybe those?
DEB342D0-8F05-4F6A-AEAC-DA290575DEA8.jpeg

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

Your first pics appear to be sponge. No need to move the rock as most sponge thrives in the dark places in our tanks. Your second pic is an asterina starfish. There’s mixed opinions on these guys as some reefers prefer to remove them and others, like myself, have never had issues leaving them in the tank. They’re able to regenerate if any piece of them is broken off from the main body.

OP
OP
Ashley0925

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

Your first pics appear to be sponge. No need to move the rock as most sponge thrives in the dark places in our tanks. Your second pic is an asterina starfish. There’s mixed opinions on these guys as some reefers prefer to remove them and others, like myself, have never had issues leaving them in the tank. They’re able to regenerate if any piece of them is broken off from the main body.
Thanks, would you mind giving your opinion in the pic with the asternia, I know there is some green hair algae starting on it but I’m concerned it also has a red tinged algae staring to grow but it’s not easily removed as I’ve read cyano would be... I have to scrape at it to remove any.....is it coralline? It looks darker in person than in that photo however.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange is quite possibly diatoms but yes I do think the majority of that rock is encrusting with coralline

OP
OP
Ashley0925

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange is quite possibly diatoms but yes I do think the majority of that rock is encrusting with coralline
Thank you that makes me feel better, yes I have noticed some diatom beginning as well. Hopefully can add some cleaners soon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back