Help identifying Algae

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping for some help on figuring out what I’m dealing with on my sand bed. Seems to be confined to just the sand bed for about 3 months now. It is not stringy, So I’m pretty sure it’s not Dino. Could this just be diatoms? And what can I do to help rid of it? I’ve been vacuuming the top layer of sand out of my tank for the last month (I want a smaller sand bed anyway) and my nutrient levels seem to be in check when I test them weekly. Phos around .07 and nitrate between 1-5. I also test my RODI water and that is reading 0 TDS. So not sure why I can’t get rid of it.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the video is not working, I put a couple pictures in as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7011.png
    IMG_7011.png
    904.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7012.png
    IMG_7012.png
    893.6 KB · Views: 19

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the video is not working, I put a couple pictures in as well.
Was hoping for some help on figuring out what I’m dealing with on my sand bed. Seems to be confined to just the sand bed for about 3 months now. It is not stringy, So I’m pretty sure it’s not Dino. Could this just be diatoms? And what can I do to help rid of it? I’ve been vacuuming the top layer of sand out of my tank for the last month (I want a smaller sand bed anyway) and my nutrient levels seem to be in check when I test them weekly. Phos around .07 and nitrate between 1-5. I also test my RODI water and that is reading 0 TDS. So not sure why I can’t get rid of it.

Not sure if this is right or not but it looks too be dinoflagellates. Theese are tiny creatures that sit on sand, rock or glass.
They go away with well managed nitrates and phosphates. Go to your local fish store and ask!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back