Help identifying so I can properly treat

rp2763

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 weeks ago I noticed white spots on my royal grammar (he was the last fish i put in my tank about a month ago). I tried to catch him but was unsuccessful without tearing my tank apart. After researching, I thought it might be ich and tried to keep the fish healthy with selcon and proper diet while keeping a watch on him. After a few days the spots went away and I assumed my theory of ich was correct.

Shortly thereafter my neon goby got spots. A few days later the royal grammar died and the goby looked bad. I also noticed spots on my clownfish. I decided to buy and set up a QT tank with meds. This was a few days ago. Unfortunately, with work and kids and buying things on the internet, I just set up my QT today.

The goby is missing, presumed dead, but I was about to catch the clown and a yellow watchman. Both got a 4 min freshwater dip followed by 4 mins in 50/50 fresh/salt then into QT. No flukes btw.

My question is, is this brook, velvet, or ich? The grammar looked like ich, the goby had spots then became furry ( don't have a Pic unfortunately), and to be the clown looks like brook.

I'm getting metro in the mail tomorrow, formalin on the 20th, and copper power soon. I understand brook is formalin with metro, and I think velvet is copper. Just want to make sure I'm treating right before I start.

Thank you for all your help.

20230310_163417_resized.jpg 20230224_144148_resized.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
About 2 weeks ago I noticed white spots on my royal grammar (he was the last fish i put in my tank about a month ago). I tried to catch him but was unsuccessful without tearing my tank apart. After researching, I thought it might be ich and tried to keep the fish healthy with selcon and proper diet while keeping a watch on him. After a few days the spots went away and I assumed my theory of ich was correct.

Shortly thereafter my neon goby got spots. A few days later the royal grammar died and the goby looked bad. I also noticed spots on my clownfish. I decided to buy and set up a QT tank with meds. This was a few days ago. Unfortunately, with work and kids and buying things on the internet, I just set up my QT today.

The goby is missing, presumed dead, but I was about to catch the clown and a yellow watchman. Both got a 4 min freshwater dip followed by 4 mins in 50/50 fresh/salt then into QT. No flukes btw.

My question is, is this brook, velvet, or ich? The grammar looked like ich, the goby had spots then became furry ( don't have a Pic unfortunately), and to be the clown looks like brook.

I'm getting metro in the mail tomorrow, formalin on the 20th, and copper power soon. I understand brook is formalin with metro, and I think velvet is copper. Just want to make sure I'm treating right before I start.

Thank you for all your help.

20230310_163417_resized.jpg 20230224_144148_resized.jpg
Gramma may be ich and clown unsure as pics are very fuzzy.
Please repost pics under white lighting with assurance glass and camera lens are clean to better see what they have

OP
OP
R

rp2763

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gramma may be ich and clown unsure as pics are very fuzzy.
Please repost pics under white lighting with assurance glass and camera lens are clean to better see what they have
Is this any clearer? I'll take a new Pic tomorrow

Attachments

• 20230310_163423_resized.jpg
    20230310_163423_resized.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 33

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is this any clearer? I'll take a new Pic tomorrow
Thank you- It does appear to be ich and treatment as you can guess will be necessary in a quarantine setting and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on that being ich. This parasite looks different on fish that have been infected for some time. You are up against the clock to get the copper treatment started in time though, it can take three days for copper to work.
Jay

OP
OP
R

rp2763

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you- It does appear to be ich and treatment as you can guess will be necessary in a quarantine setting and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Thank you so much for the info. Stinks but glad it's not brook.

OP
OP
R

rp2763

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on that being ich. This parasite looks different on fish that have been infected for some time. You are up against the clock to get the copper treatment started in time though, it can take three days for copper to work.
Jay
As soon as I get the Copper I'm going to add it. Hopefully the fresh water dip buys me a little time.
Thank you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As soon as I get the Copper I'm going to add it. Hopefully the fresh water dip buys me a little time.
Thank you
It will offer temporarily relief

OP
OP
R

rp2763

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked tracking today. Formalin and copper aren't arriving till the 20th. I received metro today. Would you recommend treating with metro and freshwater dips for 14 days in case it's brook or just wait for the copper?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I checked tracking today. Formalin and copper aren't arriving till the 20th. I received metro today. Would you recommend treating with metro and freshwater dips for 14 days in case it's brook or just wait for the copper?
While not the best regimen, Metro is very tricky and must be dosed precisely at 0.5.gm by weight which is a tiny amount literally what fits on a pencil tip
FW dips- every other day as this stresses fish especially if displaying rapid breathing

OP
OP
R

rp2763

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not the best regimen, Metro is very tricky and must be dosed precisely at 0.5.gm by weight which is a tiny amount literally what fits on a pencil tip
FW dips- every other day as this stresses fish especially if displaying rapid breathing
Okay thanks for the info. I might hold off. I just feel terrible waiting for meds. Thought something was better then nothing.

OP
OP
R

rp2763

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He got worse

Attachments

• 20230313_115444.jpg
    20230313_115444.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 27

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He got worse

I wonder if a FW dip might buy you some time?

Metronidazole isn't the best drug for this, but I don't think waiting until the 20th will work. I'm heading out for the day, but one dose for metro is 25 mg/gallon daily for three days.

Jay

OP
OP
R

rp2763

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help Jay.

Do you still think it's ich? I have paraguard if you think that's better.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Yes and thiS is what will happen with delayed treatment and action. Each day without treatment…. The cysts are able to multiply and reproduce and needing a host fish, will overtake it
Paraguard while I find ineffective is better than nothing At this point

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paraguard rarely works for marine fish diseases, I’ve stopped using it myself.
Jay

OP
OP
R

rp2763

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and thiS is what will happen with delayed treatment and action. Each day without treatment…. The cysts are able to multiply and reproduce and needing a host fish, will overtake it
Paraguard while I find ineffective is better than nothing At this point
Sorry I didn't thank you for your help. I appreciate all the feed bank. I waited to long to treat but now I have a QT tank and meds soon. Terrible learning experience but hopefully I have better outcomes in the future.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back