Help identifying

Mrwim94

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
Messages
9
Reaction score
6
Location
The Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Does anyone know what this could be? It’s spreading quite aggressively and seems to irritate my corals.

I’ve looked around but haven’t found an identical ID yet – to me it resembles colonial hydroids or possibly majano anemones, though I’m not certain.

Thanks in advance for your help!

52e83d0c-d37f-4288-88c2-c6e2748afd3c.jpeg f1eb037a-e35a-4218-a048-a141b0b7165a.jpeg
 
Yeah, Clove polyps. Take a razor blade and scrape them off the rock work a little at a time and dump them right away so they don’t go floating away and settle somewhere else.
 
Hey @BonnieB, thanks for your reply!

I see where you’re coming from, but there’s one thing that doesn’t quite add up for me. Clove polyps are usually connected at the stem, while my hitchhiker, although it covers the surface quite densely, appears to be solitary.

Are there any variants of clove polyps that grow solitarily? As far as I know, there aren’t.
 
Hi all,

Does anyone know what this could be? It’s spreading quite aggressively and seems to irritate my corals.

I’ve looked around but haven’t found an identical ID yet – to me it resembles colonial hydroids or possibly majano anemones, though I’m not certain.

Thanks in advance for your help!

52e83d0c-d37f-4288-88c2-c6e2748afd3c.jpeg f1eb037a-e35a-4218-a048-a141b0b7165a.jpeg
Very curious.

Does it retract when you touch it?

Does it have a skeleton?

Haven’t seen anything that furry
 
Very curious.

Does it retract when you touch it?

Does it have a skeleton?

Haven’t seen anything that furry
It does retract. It has no skeleton and a pedal disc, like an anemone. For me, the description gives mixed signals about which species I’m dealing with. The diameter is about 0.5 cm (≈0.2 in).
 
Hey @BonnieB, thanks for your reply!

I see where you’re coming from, but there’s one thing that doesn’t quite add up for me. Clove polyps are usually connected at the stem, while my hitchhiker, although it covers the surface quite densely, appears to be solitary.

Are there any variants of clove polyps that grow solitarily? As far as I know, there aren’t.
Not that I know of either…now I’m stumped…this means “Research Girl” has to go into action! 🦹‍♀️
 
Hey @BonnieB, thanks for your reply!

I see where you’re coming from, but there’s one thing that doesn’t quite add up for me. Clove polyps are usually connected at the stem, while my hitchhiker, although it covers the surface quite densely, appears to be solitary.

Are there any variants of clove polyps that grow solitarily? As far as I know, there aren’t.
Not that I know of either…now I’m stumped…this means “Research Girl” has to go into action! 🦹‍♀️
Oh wait, what about Waving Hand corals (Anthelia sp?)? They are individual polyps, retract and look like the cloves, are fast growing take over everything suckers too. If not, Research Girl goes into action! 😂😂
 
Looks like somekind of octocoral, maybe a species of corallimorph. Thats my best guess right now. Do you know where these came from?
Beautiful tank btw, these things look really nice too. What are they bothering specifically? The blasto next to them looks really healthy
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new