Help IDing an encrusting coral frag

Modge

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2022
Messages
52
Reaction score
28
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an encrusting coral frag not knowing fully what it was. The idea I had was for it to compete with a rainbow monti at some point; however I will need to control whatever type of coral this is from overtaking a couple of Birdnest colonies.

Its the grayish blue/purple frag rubber banded in place near the top of that rockwork.

Also, any insight on how it will interact with the rainbow would be good to know…I really expect the rainbow to win out, but am curious if whatever I got has super powers.

Appreciate the help!

IMG_9892.jpeg IMG_9890.jpeg
 
Tough with the blue in the shot. Do you have a orange filter you can put over the lens?
 
That was my picture lights - I’ll try to get another with only whites when I get home. I cropped and edited one of the images if that helps:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9890.jpeg
    IMG_9890.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 62
That was my picture lights - I’ll try to get another with only whites when I get home. I cropped and edited one of the images if that hel
Tough with the blue in the shot. Do you have a orange filter you can put over the lens?
here is a picture under all white
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9894.jpeg
    IMG_9894.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9893.jpeg
    IMG_9893.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 64
Photos are too low-resolution to be sure, but looks like cf Pavona varians, which is often misidentified as Leptoseris by the hobby.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new