Erickson - I disconnected the hood on my nano HQI and raised it about 8 inchs off the top of the tank pretty much turning the light into a pendent. I also installed a mini fan on the back to help with heat control, with a timer running it ever 10 to 15 minutes for cooling. I finally got the temp between 79* and 80* consistantly. I'm using the JBJ protein skimmer supplied with the tank and its working great. I do have to clean it often, but with a nano tank housekeeping task are a daily ritual, plus I have the time, and enjoy it. The following are my tank parameters;
Tank Parameters:29 Gallon HQI JBJ Nanocube
Lights: 150 W / 10,000K(1) / LED Moonlights - 4 ea / MH ran for 10 hours, Moonlights for 3
Protein Skimmer
2 Returns, 1 Korolias 435 Powerheads (I'm adding a 4th powerhead this week!
1 Media basket from "Intank" (3 chamber unit) - 1.running cut filter pad, and sponge filter (as a pre-filter), 2. Chemi-pure Elite, 3. Purrigen & charcoal mix (I got rid of thefilter box that came with tank - I highly recommend the "Intank"filter chamber! I also have a heater in an open chamber, and skimmer.
Water Quality: Reef Crystals
Salinity - 1.026
Temp - 79.2
PH - 8.1
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 1.0
DKH - 8.1
Ammonia - 0.0
Phosphate - 0.005
Maint:
Daily I use a Mag Float to scrap the glass. I clean my small pre-filter pad and possiblytop off evaporation water, check skimmer.
Once weekly I spot feed corals PhytoFeast and mysis, and dose Seachem fuel, andclean media chamber.
Weekly I change 3 to 5 gallons of water. Monthly I change out my Purigen and Chemipure Elite. I clean the skimmer every two to three days,its small. Hope this helps, Thanks - Thunder.