Help I'm melting! Zoanthids

Sassy Jenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have been talking to a lot of folks who seem to have a problem with Zoas melting in their tank. I have had a bit of this as well. Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal experience? Could be something or nothing-lol. It's what zoa's do. I've got one type of zoa that grows crazy for me but all others have melted away. Go figure :( I've been trying for 4yrs!!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Hit or miss. Some zoas have different preferences to light n flow but its a toss up. Just keep doing regular maintenance.... Water changes, test water. Try moving them around. Good luck

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
location, location, location. i have had zoas melt over night, and have zoas that thrive. very hit or miss. some varieties are "known" melters, which is to say that they are the more sensitive of the zoas.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't kill these no matter what I do-lol!!
hedemytu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Gauge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every frag of zoos I've had has had half the polyps melt. The other half will do fine though.

wabooth555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the location is one of the main factors. I keep a good eye on my zoas and if I notice that they are not opening all the way or whatever, then I move them to another location with less/more current and/or less/more light. Sooner or later, I'll find that sweet spot. But that sometimes meaning moving other corals around to make room for the zoas. :)

OP
OP
Sassy Jenny

Sassy Jenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Zoies that I have had for almost a year are starting to melt away. I have a really bad problem with those darn little white star fish. I at one point there where nudie brancs in there as well. I am very up set, but not much I can do at this point. I have taken out the zoas that I love and left the rest. I will just see what happens. Let me just say that this has taught me to be more careful before just putting stuff into my tank.

OP
OP
Sassy Jenny

Sassy Jenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess what reefers? I found an article on this very topic today. I will post a link to it when I can find it. It explains all the problems that we have been having. I blew me away\!

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess what reefers? I found an article on this very topic today. I will post a link to it when I can find it. It explains all the problems that we have been having. I blew me away\!
well hurry up and post that sucker bubba!!!
I want to keep zoa's again, I miss having them in my tank

Triston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link no longer working on the article. Is there a still active thread concerning this? I'm having the same trouble with my zoanthids. First the polyp closes and then the flesh starts to turn brown. They melt soon after. I've tried all the tips that are listed above to no avail. Already lost 37 Rastas, 1 Cornbread White Zombie, 6 Sonic Flares, 5 pink zippers, and many others. This is costing me hundreds of dollars.

20160526_092427_HDR.jpg

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7yrs reefing and I've lost 3x's what you have. It's only been within the past year that I've been able to keep any alive. Funny thing is....I haven't changed a dang thing. Go figure.
Wish I could help you. Buy cheap no names is my best advice. At least until they start living long term.

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some melting away,I moved them to my other tank with metal halides and they recovered.If you can move them to another tank it see if they will turn around for you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back