Help in QT please!

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bangaii cardinal and purple firefish in QT for almost three weeks. Both were eating and just went through a Treatment of API General Cure. 4 days ago I did a 50% water change and added carbon to the filter to remove the rest of the API GC. Everything seemed fine. This morning the bangaii is laying around on the bottom. He will move if you get near him(as I thought he was dead at lights on and was going to remove him) but then he settles back to the bottom on his side. I have water for a change coming to temp now, as Its about all I can think of. Anyone think I should just make a change with water from my DT? Anyone other ideas or is he probably done for?

Ammonia was 0-.25(API), Nitrite 0, PH 8, SG 1.024.

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been cycled. I normally accept .25 on API as 0. The ammonia badge in the tank is fine.
is the firefish having the same symptoms?

Nope, she even came out to eat as I just figured at first the bagaii was hiding under the foam filter and didnt notice him on his side.

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After typing this, I went back up to check on the tank. Bangaii is swimming at the surface now but keeping his mouth near the surface. Tank is 20L with a HOB filter with sponges and carbon(to remove GC) It also has an air powered sponge filter.

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I did a 30% water change. I don't really think it ammonia but I had no idea what else to do so I ran to Petco(its the only shop that not over an hour drive) picked up API ammonia lock and a bottle of bio spira. Both are in the tank now. Bangaii isnt lying on his side but is mostly just blowing around the tank with the currents, not really swimming. I fear he's not long for the world... Firefish is still acting just fine. Till this morning neither fish had ever exhibited any activity to cause me to think either was sick.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, what you describe could be anything but any ammonia in the tank (even trace amounts) can be fatal to fish. Biospira or the like are imperative in quarantine as it can prevent these types of things. Once gill damage is done, it's often too late.

A methylene blue bath can provide relief, assuming this was the culprit. I recommend an ammonia alert badge by seachem, and I would avoid any ammonia additives that detoxify it with most meds, particularly copper (I know you didn't use, but something for you and other readers to keep in mind).

If it was me, I'd proceed with an MB bath. It may be too far gone, but I don't see an MB bath doing any additional harm. If it dies during, it was going to pass anyway :(

Good luck to you! :)

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, what you describe could be anything but any ammonia in the tank (even trace amounts) can be fatal to fish. Biospira or the like are imperative in quarantine as it can prevent these types of things. Once gill damage is done, it's often too late.

A methylene blue bath can provide relief, assuming this was the culprit. I recommend an ammonia alert badge by seachem, and I would avoid any ammonia additives that detoxify it with most meds, particularly copper (I know you didn't use, but something for you and other readers to keep in mind).

If it was me, I'd proceed with an MB bath. It may be too far gone, but I don't see an MB bath doing any additional harm. If it dies during, it was going to pass anyway :(

I have an ammonia badge, it's showing fine. From all I read on these forums, the API test kit commonly shows .25 when there is 0 ammonia. I don't have copper in the tank. I was going to start treating cupramine today.

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he didn't make it. I took a closer look at him before "burial". He looked just fine. Nothing out of the ordinary that I could see. The firefish is still doing great. Swimming around acting normal. I finished the feeding I had begun this morning when I noticed the bagaii was sick. She ate her normal amount. I hate that I have no idea why this happened...

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, if one good thing came out of this, I now know what MB is and that I need to keep it on hand, just in case. Thanks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he didn't make it. I took a closer look at him before "burial". He looked just fine. Nothing out of the ordinary that I could see. The firefish is still doing great. Swimming around acting normal. I finished the feeding I had begun this morning when I noticed the bagaii was sick. She ate her normal amount. I hate that I have no idea why this happened...
Sorry for the loss. Often, fish with ammonia burn will have reddish gills and sometimes red around the gill covers, if that helps. :(

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you see ammonia and no nitrite, it usually means the nitrifying bacteria aren’t strong enough in numbers to break down ammonia in nitrite. Look into adding bottled bacteria.
It could also mean an error in ammonia testing:). but - in this case I agree.

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this. I'm never going to know why the Bangaii died, but the Firefish made it through and has been enjoying the DT for several days now. She never showed any signs of distress in QT. I ordered a Salifert ammonia test to check the API. My API test showed .25 throughout the rest of QT even after large water changes. When the salifert arrived it showed zero and the ammonia badge was never anything but yellow. Oh well, another marine mystery.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back