HELP! Is my Anemone dead?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks
I got my first anemone yesterday and set it in the thank. I made sure to put the foam anemone guard on my powerhead because I've heard horror stories but unfortunately today I woke up to my anemone stuck tentacles first in the foam guard. I don't know how long it's been that way. I very carefully pulled him off and untangled his tentacles from inside the foam but he looks like this now and I don't know if it's too far gone or if I should put him back and give him a chance.

IMG_1894.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks
I got my first anemone yesterday and set it in the thank. I made sure to put the foam anemone guard on my powerhead because I've heard horror stories but unfortunately today I woke up to my anemone stuck tentacles first in the foam guard. I don't know how long it's been that way. I very carefully pulled him off and untangled his tentacles from inside the foam but he looks like this now and I don't know if it's too far gone or if I should put him back and give him a chance.

IMG_1894.jpg
I’d put him back and see if he rebounds. If it was just tentacles you stand a chance. If it was the foot or stomach I’d say he’s a goner. Try to wedge him in with a couple of rocks do he doesn’t wander.

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He’s back in the tank for now. I noticed the foot was stuck to the glass measuring cup I used to take that picture so it’s definitely still alive. The tentacles look intact but they’re definitely shriveled up and some of them have black ends now. It’s pretty deflated though. I’m going to cross my fingers that he’ll puff back up a little when lights come on later.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He’s back in the tank for now. I noticed the foot was stuck to the glass measuring cup I used to take that picture so it’s definitely still alive. The tentacles look intact but they’re definitely shriveled up and some of them have black ends now. It’s pretty deflated though. I’m going to cross my fingers that he’ll puff back up a little when lights come on later.
Yeah, give him a couple days. Poor guys been through the ringer, literally.;)

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
This wa mine few weeks Ago.if yours as as mine I think it would survive if you leave it as it is.my post

Now it looks like this

20201031_184044.jpg

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, I hope he pulls though. Good news on the foot attaching. Like we discussed earlier mine always go straight for the spinning blades of death.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTAs are very resilient, they can be way more chewed up than yours and still make a comeback.

You might want to get a separation box and put the nem in there with a rock to attach to while it heals over the next few days/weeks. It’ll also help to keep it from wandering into or getting blown into the powerheads.

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much folks! It’s actually looking okay right now. It’s crazy the size difference between what I thought was a dead nem compared to even now. I can absolutely understand how these guys shrink up enough to fit through the powerhead now. I'm lucky I used the foam guard. I've been finding a few glowing nem chunks in my tank.

62585465074__E2CC04AA-D8EF-44E7-984B-AD2856CC5F4C.jpeg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer you have one the more you'll get used to their tendencies. All toll I have 14 between 2 tanks, the majority of them stay put but on occasion I'll have one wander.

We have 1 that we call "Kami" AKA Kamikazee - this poor guy has been into powerheads multiple times (with guards), melted to a heater, been down the overflow into sump multiple times... has split & both halves were in the sump. Whenever he has one of his "adventures" we place him in an acclimation box referred to as the "penalty box" for a couple days, then release him back to general population. He's currently accompanied by 2 gold nugget clowns - so we hold our breath...lol

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO with BTAs

If he was healthy prior to getting his tentacles in a bind he should make a recovery as long as the rest of your Parama are all in check.

if he was already kind of sickly or struggling this might’ve been a death sentence.

But seeing he’s still attaching his foot to stuff I’d give you an 80% success rate.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back