Help is my anemone dying

csj0812

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2025
Messages
23
Reaction score
17
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed him shrimp last night, but also had a pretty fast salinity swing from a water change with a then did not know uncalibrated refractometer but stabilized it very quickly
Ph 8.1
Alk 200
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.026

IMG_2179.jpeg IMG_2178.jpeg
 
I fed him shrimp last night, but also had a pretty fast salinity swing from a water change with a then did not know uncalibrated refractometer but stabilized it very quickly
Ph 8.1
Alk 200
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.026

IMG_2179.jpeg IMG_2178.jpeg
The flesh looks healthy but contracted. If the anemone fed heavily, it might be digesting its food. No need to extend itself if it’s stuffed. Short exposure to salinity swing might irritate but not kill a coral.
 
Upvote 1
The flesh looks healthy but contracted. If the anemone fed heavily, it might be digesting its food. No need to extend itself if it’s stuffed. Short exposure to salinity swing might irritate but not kill a coral.
Thank you very much, I was also worried because it spit out a small chunk of bright orange stuff, wondering if it was expelling zooas
 
Upvote 0
As mentioned above, it doesn't look dead/dying. When the mouth is gaping and the foot no longer holds on is when I start worrying.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you very much, I was also worried because it spit out a small chunk of bright orange stuff, wondering if it was expelling zooas
Or pooping.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone you have definitely eased my mind, his mouth did puff up more though and he expelled this thick red brown cloud. But I will post an update in the morning.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone you have definitely eased my mind, his mouth did puff up more though and he expelled this thick red brown cloud. But I will post an update in the morning.
That was likely poop. Brown to black is usually poop in my experience.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new