Help! Lps, sps and softies Irritated/dying

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all,

I have a mixed reef mainly lps. I had an issue with 0 phosphates that I worked on and caused some issues. After things stabilized I did a water change to lower nitrates. Ever since the water change things have been taking a down trend and I’m losing pieces. Nitrates before water change 25-30 “salifert”

Alk- 8.10
Calcium - 430
Mag - 4118
Nitrate - 5-10 “salifert”
Phosphate - my Hannah read 0 have checked multiple times and trouble shoot to make sure

1st local LFS - Phosphate- .5
2nd - .02 all hannah

I’m not sure if I should continue dosing phosphate. Or what seems to be the issue. All my lps and softies seem to be distressed. Ran carbon , no change. I have 7 fish.
100g tank.
Thanks for any input

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.
Same thing happened to me a while back over a year and still fighting with chemistry.

Started dosing nitrate to combat low nutrients (slightly elevated phos and 0 nitrate) and ended up overdosing the nitrate. Got upwards of 80-100.
All my zoas died out in the months to follow.

Never could get my chemistry back on point after that.
Going to be starting over soon.

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any advice, but wanted to make sure you get the right information out there.

Is that Mag reading actually 4118, or is it a typo which is supposed to read 1418?

Anything else you have been dosing?

Were those two PO4 readings done at the same LFS? Back to back?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did PO4 bottom out? You may still be seeing the effects.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with the phosphate dosing. If you start seeing a lot of algae growing, back off the dosing and reassess the situation.

OP
OP
juarec0201

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that is a typo mag is 1418. The testing was all done in the evening. Not back to back but a few hrs in between.
Originally tank transfer from a 55. Been about 8 months. Bottomed out nutrients sent the tank into a whirl wind. Stabilized then dinos, then bubble algae. Started dosing vibrant recommended dose. “Only did two doses” so far. Everything seemed happy before the water change. So not sure if I bottled them out again.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what you should never do is dose a product like vibrant when you have a full blown algae issue. vibrant works well and to much algae die off will irritate corals even kill them if the phosphate spikes to hard. Manual remove as much by hand as possible or start with lower increments on dosing

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back