[Help] Maxima clam not opening

GammaYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, part of the mental of my maxima clam stopped opening almost a week ago. Now, the siphon tube is not really extending. Is this the PMD, should I do a RO water bath? Thanks a lot! The clam has been in the system for about two month, and it has been pretty happy, till maybe two weeks ago, it dropped from the rock work to the sand bed at night, but I put him back up the next morning.

The only thing I changed recently is that I dosed ReefFlux maybe two weeks ago. Would that have this kind of negative effect on the clam?

Thanks for the help!

ALK 7.8
CAL. 440
NO3. 10.7

IMG_2330.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GammaYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's receiving more than 300 Par and the system is up for almost a year. The rock underneath it is new, since I don't want to directly attach it to the rock work.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the clam attaching its foot to your rock? If it dropped from the rock work on its own, its possible that it doesn't like it there. I would be cautious about moving it around a lot however I think you might try putting it on a rock or a clam hammock in the sand bed and leaving it alone

OP
OP
G

GammaYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has attached to the rock. That rock can be easily removed from my rock work.
Indeed it has turned its orientation on its own and seems to have settled down.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just monitor the mantle and see if it progresses. Sometimes after a fall or injury, they may pull the mantle in, but it's only for a few days at most, unless there was damage? Check the shell in that area to see if there's anything that might be irritating the mantle? Keep it where it is, especially if it's growing, moving it lower will reduce the amount of light, which I wouldn't do.

OP
OP
G

GammaYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just monitor the mantle and see if it progresses. Sometimes after a fall or injury, they may pull the mantle in, but it's only for a few days at most, unless there was damage? Check the shell in that area to see if there's anything that might be irritating the mantle? Keep it where it is, especially if it's growing, moving it lower will reduce the amount of light, which I wouldn't do.

Yeah, I will just keep it there and monitor. The other part of the mantle is doing just fine. And there are new growth...

OP
OP
G

GammaYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I decided to give my clam a fresh water bath for 30 min. After that, it fully opened again. Works like a charm.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this thread. From your picture, it looks like PMD. However, PMD does not start out of the blue. Either the clam come to you infected or else, if you had him for a long time, he must get exposed to the disease somehow. Rock, sand or corals from infected tank or exposure to infected clam.
In any case, I am glad the treatment works for your clam.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back