Help me choose: MP10 vs Nero 3 vs Tunze 6040

Grant Beyleveld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have an IM Fusion 14 Peninsula that is just starting out (check out my build thread!) and I need some input on which powerhead to choose. The goal is an anemone tank, so that is a major consideration. I don't currently have an Apex but I plan on adding one at some point, so controllability would be nice.

Vortech MP10
While very expensive ($300, double the cost of the other two), everyone seems to love these pumps. There are third party anemone guards readily available. The WXM module has been discontinued which doesn't bode well for Apex compatibility going forward, although I could use their Mobius app. The ability to replace the westside so easily for cleaning and the fact that the wires are not in the tank is also great.

AI Nero 3
At $150, it's half the price of the MP10. It's sleek and low profile and has advanced controllability (via the MyAI app) baked into the price. There are anemone guards available. However, it is not compatible with the Apex and I don't anticipate it ever being so. I already have the AI Prime HD light over my tank, so at least I'll be sticking in a family.

Tunze 6040
Also cheap at $150. I think it seems more maneuverable in the tank than the other two, which are a lot more parallel to the glass. Comes with a basic manual controller, but is Apex ready via a simple cable. But I can't seem to find any anemone guards and also the propeller is exposed. This is a major red flag.

So in summary:
  • MP10 is expensive and the only major benefits that I value are the dry/wet side design and the positive reviews from so many reefers.
  • AI Nero 3 looks good from a price and anemone safety perspective, but can't be controlled by the Apex (although has controllability of it's own)
  • Tunze 6040 is an anemone death trap but can be hooked up with an Apex.
I think writing it out like this helped me make my decision, but I'd love to hear others' thoughts and take recommendations for other pumps I might not have considered.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In a tank that small, I believe you might be dealing with too much flow. Get one you can control and one that looks clean. All of them have a lot of tank upgrade potential as well.

MP10: will stick out on the glass.

Nero3: can be hidden placed on the black wall.

Tunze: Apex is expensive.

I went with a pair of Jebao SLW-20M in a 29g. I might get the ecotech next time around (for their reef crest program).

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nero3 for sure. You can get two of them for one MP10 and setup a way better flow program. They are also about half the size of an MP10.

I said good riddance to all my Vortech hear after going through 4 wetsides in under a year. All from poor quality. Ecotech replaced them all under warranty but that still cost me over $80 just to ship them back their defective products.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up getting? I am considering the Tunze 6040 vs. the Nero 3. Have not been impressed with all the info about the Nero 3 stalling. I have a 37 g cube with an MP10 and the small maxspec Jump Gyre but need a bit more flow on the bottom. I love the MP10 but not the price. Thanks for your thoughts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back