Help me design the perfect flow

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always struggle with this every time I set up a seahorse tank so thought I'd reach out to see if I can get some suggestions. The current seahorse tank is a 72 gallon bowfront. The two powerheads I want to work with are my Vortech and my IceCap Gyre since they both have a low profile. (I have covers for both so no risk of ponies injuring their tails. I know they can handle higher flow in some areas but I also want them to be able to breed so need a portion of the tank where they can do their egg exchanges without the flow being a problem for them. No matter how I arrange my powerheads I always seem to have a dead spot where detrius gathers and/or too much flow where I'm afraid they will get thrown against a rock. I think the biggest challenge is the bowfront since the overflow is off-center so I can't "center" a powerhead on the back wall.

I have played with different positions, different speeds, different settings, etc. Figured I'd call in the troops to help. I do have a bunch of unused powerheads but really trying to reduce how many cords I have in the tank if possible.
Thanks in advance.
Sue

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a seahorse tank you really don't want a lot of flow anyway. Your best bet is a good cleanup crew (snails, conches, hermit crabs, etc.) to tackle your sand bed.
OK, but I thought the "low flow for seahorses" was old school and has since been revised but I'm fine to dial it down a bit. Since I had set this one up as a bare-bottom I was very limited on what kind of clean up crew I could have but I am now slowly rinsing sand and adding some daily. That will open up my clean-up crew options.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back