Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank:
96 gallon display
20 gallon sump

I want 2 heaters in the sump but i'm not sure how to figure out the size I would need.
Any help appreciated. :)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd do 1 x 100W and 1 x 300W in a staggered setup.

OP
OP
AmyBolton

AmyBolton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then my other question is that some of the heaters (Eheim for example) the heater size for 300w is 20" long.. Isn't that too long to fit in a sump compartment

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the ambient room temp? Tank size suggestions from heater manufactures are typical based on a certain "raise above room temp". Cooler rooms will need more watts.

My house is fairly cool in the winter (about 68 F), and I run about 6 watts per gallon. The suggestion of 2 x 300 watts sounds about right to start.

I think a dual heater setup works well when each heater is just enough keep up on its own. That way if one fails, either on or off, the tank will not heat up or cool down very fast and you should have time to catch the problem.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use your heater's manufacturer recommendations for sizing. Definitely factor in ambient temps. I had to oversize the heaters for the tanks in my basement here in MN. General rule of thumb is take your recommended wattage and divide by two if you are going to run two heaters. I'd go off the high range.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then my other question is that some of the heaters (Eheim for example) the heater size for 300w is 20" long.. Isn't that too long to fit in a sump compartment
The titanium heaters most people use don't typically have built in thermostats which means that a) they must be used in conjunction with a controller and b) they're usually very short.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context, here are two 350 watt D-D titanium heaters in my 112 (US) gallon system. These are rebranded Schego units and are ample for this volume, easily outperforming the two eheim 300 watt units I had previously (laying down because they were so long...).
20230101_155255.jpg

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context, here are two 350 watt D-D titanium heaters in my 112 (US) gallon system. These are rebranded Schego units and are ample for this volume, easily outperforming the two eheim 300 watt units I had previously (laying down because they were so long...).
20230101_155255.jpg
Those heaters are very compact for the wattage, certainly makes them easier to fit in the sump. I have mounted mine with some angle as well but they are in the return section and with the amount of flow in there I don't think it maters. I do like to keep the tops out of the water to reduce the risk of seal weepage, but mine also have the built in thermostats with seals on the little knob.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back