Help me game plan my tank move.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really looking to hear any advice/pointers from people that have moved their tanks a decent distance. I will be moving from Minnesota to Nebraska in less than 3 weeks. Moves are stressful and I really don't want my tank to dominate my move even though it will take a lot of attention. Thankfully I will be moving out of a one bedroom apartment (and storage) so it's not like I will be moving a house.

My plan is to move my tank, equipment, rock, inverts, and coral. I have a yellow tang that I plan to sell but worst case if that doesn't happen I may need to move it as well. My inverts consist of snails, a couple hermit crabs, and a couple tuxedo urchins. I have 3 small pieces of coral right now so nothing crazy.

We will be loading up the uhaul the day before my move and I may break the tank down either that day or more likely the day before that. I can put all rock, inverts, and coral in a rubbermaid tote with a heater and pump. I plan to put the tank in one of our cars so it doesn't get damaged and the stand and equipment will go in the uhaul.

I imagine the day of travel will take a solid 10 hours since we have to stop at a storage spot in between locations.

My first thought is I should load up the rubbermaid tote with rock, inverts, and coral the day of the move. Should I keep everything in the tote and move it all together? Or should I try to individually bag up each invert/coral and place them in their own box or cooler (I could always buy a heat pack too just not sure if it would be necessary)? If I keep everything together should I buy a battery operated air pump for that long of travel time?

Once I get to Nebraska I will plan to have the rubbermaid tote setup again with the pump and heater which should give me time to make saltwater and set the tank back up. Would love to hear your advice and thanks for reading!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim,

I've done this before. Since you're not moving a ton of coral, my advice would actually be to sell the three pieces you have in addition to the inverts. Both can be readily acquired and it will make the move so much easier (assuming there isn't a personal relationship/sentimental value to any). The bacteria colonies are pretty easy to care for during the move, so all you would have to focus on is the rock/water, which have few requirements. Adding inverts, coral, or a fish really increases the complexity of the move. If it's just rocks and water (in addition to your equipment), it's almost a trivial process.

I'd also chuck your old sand. Get new sand at your new location.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda fall into the same camp as @andrewey. Moving is stressful enough without dealing with live animals. Yeah, you will lose some money on the livestock trades, but that probably evens out with risk of loss on livestock over a 10 hour trip.

That all said, I've read dozens of move stories on here that went off pretty well. Managing temperature this time of year is not too bad where you are I would guess.

How many gallons are we talking about here? Smaller is obviously MUCH easier. Good luck on the move!

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim,

I've done this before. Since you're not moving a ton of coral, my advice would actually be to sell the three pieces you have in addition to the inverts. Both can be readily acquired and it will make the move so much easier (assuming there isn't a personal relationship/sentimental value to any). The bacteria colonies are pretty easy to care for during the move, so all you would have to focus on is the rock/water, which have few requirements. Adding inverts, coral, or a fish really increases the complexity of the move. If it's just rocks and water (in addition to your equipment), it's almost a trivial process.

I'd also chuck your old sand. Get new sand at your new location.
I kinda fall into the same camp as @andrewey. Moving is stressful enough without dealing with live animals. Yeah, you will lose some money on the livestock trades, but that probably evens out with risk of loss on livestock over a 10 hour trip.

That all said, I've read dozens of move stories on here that went off pretty well. Managing temperature this time of year is not too bad where you are I would guess.

How many gallons are we talking about here? Smaller is obviously MUCH easier. Good luck on the move!
Just went for a run/walk outside and was thinking exactly the same thing guys so I appreciate talking it out. Really the thing I care most about is keeping the rock and biodiversity so I will try to sell or give away everything else live. That will allow me to drain and dismantle the tank a little earlier too so I'm not down to the wire.

@ScottB the tank is a RSR250 so not too big at all at about 50-60 gallons. Big thing that worries me about it is protecting the glass while moving. Maybe wrap the thing up in bubble wrap?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don't wrap my tanks up, although on my last move with an acrlyic tank, I simply built a box around the tank out of plywood with some extra throw blankets in between the tank and the plywood. It took about 20 minutes to construct and cost $20, but it gave me the peace of mind that something wasn't going to fall on the tank and scratch the panels if I had to make a hard stop. There's probably a much better way of doing it, but maybe it will get your gears turning for how to protect the glass.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put everything living in the same container. If one thing dies it will pollute the container and risk killing everything. I experienced this when we moved. Spread everything out.

Plan on it taking a lot longer than you think. A Lot longer.

Have extra water ready when you get there. I got my JBJ 28 AIO set up after an 11 hour move (and we broke down 3 tanks that morning, drove 11 hours, then set up two tanks that night). Then I realized my brittle star died and ruined a bucket of water. That made the tank short in water and I could not run the pump or heater. I ended up filling Gatorade bottles with water and putting them in the tank to raise the water level until I could get the rodi set up the next day.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't moved a tank, but have read lots about it.

I second selling your current livestock if possible. It's not much, and readily available and will make your life so much easier.

If that doesn't work, definitely bag everything up separately or in small groups. Carefully pack into a cooler with heat packs depending on your temperature and whatnot

Live rock can be put in a bin full of tank water, and that should suffice, again, depending on Temps. Same with your filter media.

Sand,if you want to keep it, can be kept, but rinse the ever loving heck out of it until the water comes out clear.

Set up your tank asap when you arrive.

Aquatic Lifeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved many many many tanks. It used to be my job. I agree with what has been said so far.
Honestly you will have an easier time starting new. As soon as you disturb your ecosystem in such a degree, you're pretty much starting over anyways. As for your rock, just box it up and styrofoam boxes. Your sponges may die but you'd be surprised what will live in dried rock. It will reestablish relatively quickly.
Moving is always stressful. Especially with critters involved. Making you feel rushed and stressed. You will definitely have an easier time without hauling a bunch of water and creatures along with you.
Plus setting up your tank immediately then putting a bunch of life in it will cause crazy parameter fluctuations. Causing your critters to stress, ick up and possibly not make it.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a proponent of keeping your rock alive. To me, that is a very valuable head start. I don't think it needs to be submerged, but needs to stay moist and not hot.

The rest can be replaced with a credit card in hours or a couple days.

The RSR 250 is a great tank. Had one for several years. Good luck on the move!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put everything living in the same container. If one thing dies it will pollute the container and risk killing everything. I experienced this when we moved. Spread everything out.

Plan on it taking a lot longer than you think. A Lot longer.

Have extra water ready when you get there. I got my JBJ 28 AIO set up after an 11 hour move (and we broke down 3 tanks that morning, drove 11 hours, then set up two tanks that night). Then I realized my brittle star died and ruined a bucket of water. That made the tank short in water and I could not run the pump or heater. I ended up filling Gatorade bottles with water and putting them in the tank to raise the water level until I could get the rodi set up the next day.

Displacing water volume with filled/sealed bottles of tap is pretty clever. I've had an ocassion (or two) where I coulda used that.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I myself have been very lucky with having my LFS hold all my live items for me. If you have a good relationship them the local store I would say go that route if you can.

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a proponent of keeping your rock alive. To me, that is a very valuable head start. I don't think it needs to be submerged, but needs to stay moist and not hot.

The rest can be replaced with a credit card in hours or a couple days.

The RSR 250 is a great tank. Had one for several years. Good luck on the move!
Same honestly after dinos and other ugglies I feel like keeping rock alive is one of those things that I will always try to do.

Forgot to mention as others have said I don't have sand and would never try to keep it. Actually that's a little lie as I have 2 very small jars of sand and mud in my sump that is from the Florida Keys that I added for bacterial diversity...I plan on keeping that small bit :)

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the small amount of stuff you have I would give it all away for some good karma and not let it stress me out on my move. When you are ready to rebuild, do so....

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same honestly after dinos and other ugglies I feel like keeping rock alive is one of those things that I will always try to do.

Forgot to mention as others have said I don't have sand and would never try to keep it. Actually that's a little lie as I have 2 very small jars of sand and mud in my sump that is from the Florida Keys that I added for bacterial diversity...I plan on keeping that small bit :)

I know your dino pain all too well. So I get where your head is and agree.

Back