Help me help my corals

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon (RSR250) that's been up for 14 months now. This is my first reef tank and I'd give it a B. My fish are doing great, my BTA is HUGE, my inverts are happy (I have two urchins who are both female - they're released eggs; plus assorted shrimp and reef hermits), but most of my corals are just, eh. Some die. Some stay the same, a few grow slowly. I look at other tanks that are a similar age and I see much better coral color and growth.

My parameters are: T = 78, salinity 1.025, Alk at 8.4, nitrate at 1-2, calcium at 410, Magnesium at 1230 (I dosed after I did today's measurement), phosphate 0.74 and pH 7.7.

I'm concerned about my pH and I think my nitrates may be too low. I have dosing pumps for alkalinity and calcium but I dose magnesium by hand (I only need 1-2 ml a week).

My lights are 2 radion XR15 G4 pro; my light is 20K with intensity ranging from 40 - 55% (although the adjustment bar says 81%???) over 8 hours (with additional ramp up and down).

I try to change socks 2-3 X a week, I do have a refugium on an alternate light cycle, skimmer, ATO, water changes about 4 gallons every 1-2 weeks. I do have a chemi-pure bag in the sump that I change monthly.

[whew]

Is there anything obvious I can do to increase my corals' happiness? Or am I just being too impatient. Again.

thanks

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like everything is their for the recipe aside from Nitrates. I’m a little out of my league here. #reefsquad any ideas?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would do is double check the par(or a lux estimate ) and play with that, and consider the spectrum your using if it’s custom.

Look at the spaces you have and make sure it’s not to big a streach for a “mixed reef”.

IMO. Saying “coral” is like saying fruit. It’s a lot more specific than than that. Apples and bananas don’t grow anywhere near each other.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back