Help me Id this disease

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last week my yellow tang had a few white spots on him, larger than standard ich. It seemed to go away on it is own but next my kole and flasher developed the same condition. All fish have been eating well, but the kole has started to be covered in a film that looks like fungus.

Well this am I found him floating so I took a few pictures, This is the a new tank around 2 months old, all my fish were fine in my old system, no new livestock

TIA

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had him for a few months, just recently started transferring my livestock to the new tank. I did have brook on my female clown 2 years ago which I treated with a formayln dip, perhaps I can try this again.

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had him for a few months, just recently started transferring my livestock to the new tank. I did have brook on my female clown 2 years ago which I treated with a formayln dip, perhaps I can try this again.

Yeah I would do a formalin dip and see if it helps

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the dip on a wrasse and lost one, also a male mandarin is dead as of this morning.

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...they all look the same as the Kole? If they are dying this fast it might be Brooklynella

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im not sure if its brook or ich or velvet, i am lost. Set up a QT tank in the process of getting the fish out... man this sucks.

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link, still having trouble figuring out the disease. I think its safe to say its not ich, but at the same time the fact the fish lasted a few day makes me think its not velvet.

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link, still having trouble figuring out the disease. I think its safe to say its not ich, but at the same time the fact the fish lasted a few day makes me think its not velvet.

Could you take some more picture or maybe a video?

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try later today, but my fear is most of my fish will be dead. After all this reading perhaps a QT with low salinity is the best bet with the daily formyln dip? It seems copper scares me.

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home, my female mandarin was dead in the QT and my blue flasher was not looking good. I dipped him in a freshwater bath with prime for 5 minutes and replaced him, alot of the spots fell off, but a few were still present that I photographed

He is alive but sitting at the bottom, he is pale but no film over him, also he is missing a few fins on his side.

The patches show the missing scales and a few dust pieces show the parasite, still not sure what it is?

The death toll is one kole tang, one male mandarin in the dt, female mandy and carpenter flasher in the QT. I still have the yellow tang in the DT, but he looks great even though he was near death last week....

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the paleness and scale loss but I don't really see the parasite. Have you tried any other treatments besides the freshwater dip? Is this the only sick fish left? Is he still eating?

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the paleness and scale loss but I don't really see the parasite. Have you tried any other treatments besides the freshwater dip? Is this the only sick fish left? Is he still eating?

Yes, it looks like ich, a few grains of salt but there was a distinct membrane covering on them a few days ago and this fish has not eaten in a while. Unfortunately he passed, it seemed the fish may of done better in the display then monkeying around with a QT. I had a 40b setup with all my fish then upgraded to the 90, a few years back my female clown had brook so I did a formalyn dip and she recovered no biggie, the only fish that was new was my kole tang that never been with the clowns. So as of now I have no fish showing any signs, in my 90 DT I have one yellow tang that seems healthy swimming, showing no signs of stress and eating well. In my 20 gallon that was the remains of my 40 has my two clowns that look great and a corris wrasse that eats like a pig, all showing no signs of illness.

So going forward Im trying to decide the correct path, I feel pulling the YT and fallow the dt would be too much stress on him?

Thanks for all the help btw!

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it looks like ich, a few grains of salt but there was a distinct membrane covering on them a few days ago and this fish has not eaten in a while. Unfortunately he passed, it seemed the fish may of done better in the display then monkeying around with a QT. I had a 40b setup with all my fish then upgraded to the 90, a few years back my female clown had brook so I did a formalyn dip and she recovered no biggie, the only fish that was new was my kole tang that never been with the clowns. So as of now I have no fish showing any signs, in my 90 DT I have one yellow tang that seems healthy swimming, showing no signs of stress and eating well. In my 20 gallon that was the remains of my 40 has my two clowns that look great and a corris wrasse that eats like a pig, all showing no signs of illness.

So going forward Im trying to decide the correct path, I feel pulling the YT and fallow the dt would be too much stress on him?

Thanks for all the help btw!

How big is your yellow tang and would you be putting him in the 40?

Back