Help me Id this disease

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not big, 3" max Im just worried about stressing him especially since I killed the last three I removed...

Well I would try and move him but I understand your worry. What I would do is acclimate him to your qt and make sure he has PVC to hide in or rocks to hide behind. Keep lights out for a day or two if he seems stressed and put a seaweed clip in there with some food for him. What is your qt setup like? And how have you been acclimating the fish to qt? And make sure your qt parameters are good because they can get fouled up quickly.

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used water from the DT tank, and a airstone filter. I also added stabile to help establish bacteria, I hade high NH3 this morning but mind you my fish died last night.

I think maybe leave the tang in the DT for a bit until I get the Qt sorted out (emptied new filter ect), I am still wondering how to QT and treat him, hypo vs copper vs ect?

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used water from the DT tank, and a airstone filter. I also added stabile to help establish bacteria, I hade high NH3 this morning but mind you my fish died last night.

I think maybe leave the tang in the DT for a bit until I get the Qt sorted out (emptied new filter ect), I am still wondering how to QT and treat him, hypo vs copper vs ect?

Yeah I would definitely get the water quality sorted out before you add and if you don't see any signs of disease on your Yellow Tang then I wouldn't do any treatment...if something pops up then I would determine what treatment to go with depending on the symptoms. You can also get one of those Ammonia badges to put on your qt so you can easily see if it raises from 0ppm

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, get the QT fixed, perhaps it will take a week to get a stable bacteria population and low NH3, Ill just change water from my DT into the Qt in the mean time. Once I feel its safe I will remove the tank and just observe, but run the DT fallow for the next 6-8 weeks. Then move the tang over and start restocking, If I dont see any problems with the tang I should not medicate, what if he is carrying a disease but shows no signs?

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would definitely get the water quality sorted out before you add and if you don't see any signs of disease on your Yellow Tang then I wouldn't do any treatment...if something pops up then I would determine what treatment to go with depending on the symptoms. You can also get one of those Ammonia badges to put on your qt so you can easily see if it raises from 0ppm

Thanks!

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, get the QT fixed, perhaps it will take a week to get a stable bacteria population and low NH3, Ill just change water from my DT into the Qt in the mean time. Once I feel its safe I will remove the tank and just observe, but run the DT fallow for the next 6-8 weeks. Then move the tang over and start restocking, If I dont see any problems with the tang I should not medicate, what if he is carrying a disease but shows no signs?

You can treat if you want to but I read an article a while back about not treating for fish diseases unless there are signs of the disease because it isn't always good for the fish.

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's an external parasite and you don't see any signs on the fish they could still be in the gills but that usually causes rapid breathing. If the fish had it before and it was never treated it is likely that he could be carrying it but have a strong enough immune system that it won't affect him. So yeah I guess it's a possibility that he still has something

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned my QT tank and letting the bleach dry, I think I am going to try to catch my tang tongiht. He is really timid and hiding alot which leads me to believe he is still sick

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would run the QT hypo, as that will knock off some possible problems without exposing it to anything harsh, like copper. I have not seen anything showing that hypo is harmful.

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the tang, did a formyln bath last night and he was fine, woke up this am to this...

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he was in QT after the bath, I had a sponge from my tank in there along with a NH3 badge, everything seemed fine maybe he was too far gone?

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd he look before you put him in? Was he still eating?

No he stopped eating a day or two ago, I didnt check nitrates but the water I pulled from my DT was 0.2 and not feeding him, I think it should of been ok. I think the disease was just too far gone, I am thinking it was/is velvet.

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot that you said you used your dt water. Yeah he might have been too far gone and the the stress of moving finished him off.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back