Help me pick a return pump!

CiCikl85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a Jebao DCP 10000 running a SCA 90 and a 40 breeder and it’s running at about 50% with more than enough power for both tanks, I would run 1” off pump as far as you can go, then put a 1”T reducing to 3/4” going to each return nozzle so you get equal flow through each outlet. I love this pump, it’s super quiet and does it’s job well!

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not looking for a DC pump, the Reef Octopus Water Blaster 7000 is a great pump. Everyone I knew with DC pumps was having issues when I started my tank, so I stayed away from them. I have been using it for 2 1/2 years on my 155 with no issues. I also have not kept up with maintenance as much as I should.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in South Florida, so extra heat is definitely not a good thing, but hard to say how much heat that would be.
I also thought about running dual returns and god forbid one fails, a back siphon fed by the other working pump will flood my house.
I think I've decided on just using a fluval sp, this was my original plan but Im not sure whether the sp4 will give me enough kick after the reduction, however the sp6 uses 1 1/4 so I'd be reducing even further. My plan is to keep the pumps plumbing up to the t where my returns split and then reduce from the t to reduce pressure change.
So, should I go with the sp4 or sp6 to get ~1000 gph through my returns?
SP6 if you can fit it in your return chamber. Its a big pump. The sp4 probably wont quite give you as much flow as youd like. For 135w the SP6 is near unbeatable in low head pressure, high flow applications. FWIW I just adapt the SP6 to 1.5" PVC near the pump outlet then plumb with that up to a "T" and then use reducer bushings to get down to the desired return inlet pipe diameter. That will give you the least restriction possible. Not that youll need it with this pump. You'll have to throttle it back Im sure, which actually saves more wattage. Youre likely only going to pulling 100-110W or so at the end up the day, and running one of the most reknowed motor blocks for reliability, the askoll brand. Best of luck with the tank!

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks, sp6 it is. I'm building my own sump so I will make sure I have room in the return section.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Synergy 16" Shadow overflow hooked up to my 185gl, using an ECO Tech M1 return & it works good, no issues so far. Pumps been running for about a yr now.
1" inlet 3/4 Outlet & I can't run it at more that 4 or it drains the sump to fast.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Jebao DC12000 it stopped working lucky I caught it on the way out the door. Tried a second one and it needed cleaned to frequently to keep running and had a bad power supply. I finally just kept my Danner mag drive which was my backup in there and never have a problem. My suggestion is stay away from dc pumps on return and stick with a good AC pump internal or external. They will have better reliability and head pressure. Run oversized line to the bulk heads.

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130gal tank with similar head pressure and two 3/4 return lines. I am using one Sicce Syncra 5 and split the line between them. This pump is dead quiet and been running about a year and a half. Also have another syncra5 pushing water into my Lifereef skimmer. First time I plugged in the pump I thought it was broken because I couldnt hear it. Had to look at the return flow to see it was working!
Also my apex says it only consumes 60 watts of power.
Had a danner mag pump that was tough and reliable but louder and used 100 watts.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Amazon Prime changed my life.

Amazons founder & CEO, Jeff Bezos, was just named the richest man in the world, surpassing Bill Gates. His net worth is 124 BILLION!!

If I had money like that, I'd send every household in the US a $10,000 check. I can't even imagine having that much money. Your life has to end up kinda boring after a while because you've done everything, own everything and been everywhere and have nothing left to strive for.

Sorry for the off topic, but just wanted to share that tidbit.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have heard bad things with the eco tech returns. Not they’re bad but some people have had their issues. I have three running tanks and they’re all using the jebao dcs version.

Honestly best 100 bucks spent. No issues at all and one is running for over a year, one 9 months and one 6 months.

I concur with the Jebao. I bought a used DC8000T as part of a package deal from my LFS and it puts out a strong flow for my 90 gallon even at 30-40% power

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130gal tank with similar head pressure and two 3/4 return lines. I am using one Sicce Syncra 5 and split the line between them. This pump is dead quiet and been running about a year and a half. Also have another syncra5 pushing water into my Lifereef skimmer. First time I plugged in the pump I thought it was broken because I couldnt hear it. Had to look at the return flow to see it was working!
Also my apex says it only consumes 60 watts of power.
Had a danner mag pump that was tough and reliable but louder and used 100 watts.
I don't disagree Why I said use a good AC pump there is no reason to use a DC controlled pump for a return, just more risk of problems. My mag 18 is dead silent and reliable plus it is 12 years old.. My tank is 280 gallon total system 300 gallon so I would need more flow than a single Syncra 5. The Sicce have good reviews, I never used one but would not have a problem buying one when the need comes up. I will not use another jebao for return pump even though plenty of people do. I could get away with a wave pump or skimmer pump stopping or fail but never want the return pump to stop. If you are out of town like say 10 hour drive or by plane not much you can do if the return pump fails.

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm in the process of setting up an SCA 150 with a 16" synergy overflow box, and I've chosen every piece of equipment necessary other than the return pump. The tank is drilled with (2) 3/4" returns, does this mean I should only use a pump with a 3/4" output, or is it really not that much loss from a pump with a 1" output on 3/4" pipe? It seems I'm pretty limited on 3/4" output returns, as I have heard too many bad things about the vectras to spend over $300 on one. Anyone have any suggestions on a reliable, quiet return capable of 1000-1500 gph after 5 ft of head loss and a split for the returns on 3/4" PVC? I'm sparing no expenses on this tank so let's hear it. (Ok other than an RD3...)
I have a 6 year old reef octopus hy5000 that I ran on my 125. Never cleaned it once. Until I took my tank down recently. Super quite and I think the reliability speaks for its self. Now It is going to be used on a water mixing station. Probably going to be going with the hy7000 on my 140 when I get it.

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce, I am not dogging Mag pumps. I still have mine and use it for water changes and a system backup. I would not lose any sleep if I had to switch to it for any reason and I would buy one again. Mine vibrated more than the sicce but I kept it on a rubber pad so it was not a big issue. I think it handles head pressure better than the sicce but that is just my opinion.
Mag pumps are tough and easy to take apart and clean. Never had an issue with mine and it is still going strong.

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not against mags as I've run several and theyre very reliable, however they can be loud and put off a lot of heat, just want to go with something a little more high end on this build.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a VarioS 4 on my 75 controlled down to 65% with the apex VSP. About as much flow as I want thru the sump and can hardly tell it’s running except for the output breaking the water surface. That’s in a yet that be finished open cabinet

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option could be the Simplicity DC series. As others have mentioned, head losses make a big difference and you need to size the pump accordingly. Simplicity has four models ranging from 1000 to 32oo gph so one of the bigger ones should work for you. The Simplicity appears to be similar to the Jebao/Jecod Chinese DC pumps. Mine makes a low frequency hum sound but its not to0 loud and doesn't bother me with the tank in the living area and not in a bedroom. I was using a Vectra and it was dead silent. The Simplicity has a convenient 10 minute feed mode button on the controller. DC pumps have very tight tolerances and you need to soak/run them in vinegar solution at least once every six months to remove calcium deposits that will eventually cause them fail.

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using Ecotech and love it. i have a 180 so use the L1. its great as tied into the m40's the feed mode for both feeding and water changes works great-- no shut downs or anything. The ability to control flow and simulate any condition u want in incredible, i believe you need to add the reef link for computer control. Working with the Radions its a great system. I can tell you that i have dealt with their support line on the battery back up system and they were totally great. Trouble shooting and sending replacement parts right away. from me Ecotech has been a great investment and one with the flexibility i can use any type of condition i need

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 107 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back