Help me pick a return pump!

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by ReefSlice, Mar 6, 2018.

1. ReefSlice

ReefSlice Active Member

So, I'm in the process of setting up an SCA 150 with a 16" synergy overflow box, and I've chosen every piece of equipment necessary other than the return pump. The tank is drilled with (2) 3/4" returns, does this mean I should only use a pump with a 3/4" output, or is it really not that much loss from a pump with a 1" output on 3/4" pipe? It seems I'm pretty limited on 3/4" output returns, as I have heard too many bad things about the vectras to spend over $300 on one. Anyone have any suggestions on a reliable, quiet return capable of 1000-1500 gph after 5 ft of head loss and a split for the returns on 3/4" PVC? I'm sparing no expenses on this tank so let's hear it. (Ok other than an RD3...)

Tags:

2. JaaxReef

JaaxReef Active Member

SteadyC likes this.
  3. Denisk

Denisk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I also have heard bad things with the eco tech returns. Not they’re bad but some people have had their issues. I have three running tanks and they’re all using the jebao dcs version.

Honestly best 100 bucks spent. No issues at all and one is running for over a year, one 9 months and one 6 months.

4. JaaxReef

JaaxReef Active Member

Are your Jabao pumps quiet? I’ve heard they can be hit or miss with noise.

5. ReefSlice

ReefSlice Active Member

I do have a jebao RW-8 and love it, I've been mulling around the idea of just buying 2 DC-9000's. But will I lose a ton of flow running it through 3/4" lines?

6. Oleshp

Oleshp Member

I recently got an Octo varios-4 for my 120. It works great and I can't hear it at all. If I had to get another I may go with the 6 but the 4 is plenty of flow in my tank

Centerline and HolisticBear like this.
  7. Denisk

Denisk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

So I ran it on a sca 150 until I sold it and went with a reefer 350. But I felt like the overflow made more noise. I personally feel like they’re very quiet. All three of mine have no issues. Also it’s amazon for me so if it was noisy, I would have them ship me a new one. Hence why I can’t live without prime.

JaaxReef likes this.
  8. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

You would loose some flow with the smaller 3/4" than the 1" diameter pipe . Really can't say how much . there is a flow chart at the other big site. where one can change pipe diameter etc. How accurate? I don't know. Also Your pump has to be listed. I suppose Ya could sub different, same size pump to get a general idea.

9. Chuk

Chuk Active Member

If you actually tried to run them at 100% with no resistance you're looking at almost 80 gpm. Even a single pump at the rated flow is 40 gpm. This single pump would have a pressure loss over 40 psi/ft of pipe in a single 3/4" line. The max head they put out is 4.5M (~15 ft). Assuming the top of your tank is ~5ft from the pump and you have ~8 ft of actual pipe length your actual flow at 100% is more likely 2-3 gpm range (450-680 LPH) youll get 5ft from elevation and ~12 ft from pipe friction losses. So yes you will lose a ton of flow with even 1 through a 3/4"

On my 90 I run the Jebao DC 12000 through a 1" line and I only get ~5 gpm (1150 L/hr)

10. Xandernfs

Xandernfs Active Member

I have a VarioS-6 and I really like the pump!

11. ReefSlice

ReefSlice Active Member

What size lines do you have it on and any idea what kind of flow you're getting?

12. JaaxReef

JaaxReef Active Member

+1 Amazon Prime changed my life.

MartinWaite and Denisk like this.
  13. srm077

srm077 Member

I have 2 Jabeo DCT 15000's. Zero noise even when they are both at 100 percent. I could not justify the wildly more expensive pumps as the technology is changing so rapidly. I just ordered the 20000 for the waterfall pump on my Koi pond too.

14. ReefSlice

ReefSlice Active Member

Were you running the 12000 or 9000 on the 150? And was your return 3/4"?

15. Reefin Dude

Reefin Dude Member

i am a big fan of eductors on return pumps. a great way to increase the flow of a tank without running more water through the sump than what the skimmer could process. the problem with eductors is that they need a pump with some serious oomph. unfortunately i have not seen a DC pump that has enough oomph. so if power is a concern, than more calculations would be necessary. an eductor can add up to 5X the flow of a return pump.

G~

rockskimmerflow likes this.
  16. coral-boss

coral-boss Active Member R2R Supporter

sicce

Ocelaris and Centerline like this.
  17. Denisk

I ran the 9000 and I never had it turned up passed .25 if it’s power. I don’t like have a lot of flow through my sump. As far as return plumbing size, I forgot to be honest. I think the holes in the sca 150 are 1 inch.

18. Kayotic5011

Kayotic5011 Active Member Article Contributor

19. Xandernfs

Xandernfs Active Member

It's on a reefer 250, so it's 16mm or 5/8". I have it on 60% (I believe) and it's plenty.

20. Lasse

Lasse Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I run a Jebao DCT 4000 on a DN 32 line (1 1/4").Total flow - max speed - around 2300 l/hour

Sincerely Lasse

Draft saved Draft deleted