Help me pick Hydros vs Apex

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to get one of these two to monitor my tank when I go out on vacation (usually 4 times a year).

I mainly want to keep an eye on a couple things, mainly temperature, salinity and any leaks.

I'm not sure if it will make much of a difference but the equipment I am currently using is the following.

Reef Octopus

2x radions

Current Dual powerheads

Jebao DC pump

2x hygger heaters

And an ATO I don't remember the brand

So back to the question which system would be ideal for me? I don't plan to add any testing units as I just want it to monitor my basic stuff and send me alerts. I have no experience with either so any help would be greatly appreciated.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to get one of these two to monitor my tank when I go out on vacation (usually 4 times a year).

I mainly want to keep an eye on a couple things, mainly temperature, salinity and any leaks.

Hydros can't do salinity yet, that's upcoming, so Apex 1, Hydros 0

I'm not sure if it will make much of a difference but the equipment I am currently using is the following.

Makes all the difference in the world

Reef Octopus

Skimmer or powerhead or return pump, they make all these. Assuming skimmer, this can be controlled by either, you can even drill a float switch into the top and have it trigger to shut off when the skimmer cup is full.

Apex 2, Hydros 1
2x radions

Light control can be rolled out by apex, but not Hydros, Apex 3, Hydros 1

Current Dual powerheads

Both again, Apex 4, Hydros 2

Jebao DC pump

On/Off can be controlled by both, Speed, not so much. I'll leave the score the same.

2x hygger heaters

Both come with temp monitoring, and both can shut off heaters within a certain range. Sensor drift is about the same on both, so Apex 5, Hydros 3

And an ATO I don't remember the brand

Can be triggered by both via power bar and float switch. Apex 6, Hydros 4

So back to the question which system would be ideal for me? I don't plan to add any testing units as I just want it to monitor my basic stuff and send me alerts. I have no experience with either so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here, I'm going to give a point to Hydros for ease of use and a friendly UI, but that is still Apex 6, Hydros 5. Until they come out with the new module that has a salinity (Conductivity) probe, Hydros is not your unit.

Although I always advocate checking salinity and temperature manually, and using the probes to merely sanity check your processes.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex! I never had an issue with my salinity probe. Had it since 2012.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Temperature can be monitored and controlled with Inkbird.

Salinity likely will only change because of a stuck ATO.

Leak detection can shut that off.

I’d consider the simplest and most cost effective solution that solves for leaks. Not everyone needs a controller. Although I’m starting to favor Hydros because it seems easier to use and I used to program using SQL and DOS back in the day. KISS

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature can be monitored and controlled with Inkbird.

Salinity likely will only change because of a stuck ATO.

Leak detection can shut that off.

I’d consider the simplest and most cost effective solution that solves for leaks. Not everyone needs a controller. Although I’m starting to favor Hydros because it seems easier to use and I used to program using SQL and DOS back in the day. KISS
I want to be able to monitor stuff while away.

I have used ink birds before and gotta say, not a fan of them. I used a couple different one's, calibrated them and made sure they were properly set up and still it wasn't very accurate always showing a 3-4 degree difference at times.

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros can't do salinity yet, that's upcoming, so Apex 1, Hydros 0

Makes all the difference in the world

Skimmer or powerhead or return pump, they make all these. Assuming skimmer, this can be controlled by either, you can even drill a float switch into the top and have it trigger to shut off when the skimmer cup is full.

Apex 2, Hydros 1

Light control can be rolled out by apex, but not Hydros, Apex 3, Hydros 1

Both again, Apex 4, Hydros 2

On/Off can be controlled by both, Speed, not so much. I'll leave the score the same.

Both come with temp monitoring, and both can shut off heaters within a certain range. Sensor drift is about the same on both, so Apex 5, Hydros 3

Can be triggered by both via power bar and float switch. Apex 6, Hydros 4

Here, I'm going to give a point to Hydros for ease of use and a friendly UI, but that is still Apex 6, Hydros 5. Until they come out with the new module that has a salinity (Conductivity) probe, Hydros is not your unit.

Although I always advocate checking salinity and temperature manually, and using the probes to merely sanity check your processes.
That's a very good break down, I appreciate the time you took

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros rope leak detector is far superior to the Neptune leaked detector. I also don't think you need to integrate light control because they are set and forget.

Reef octopus also integrates with hydros very nicely if you use wave engines.

I also don't think monitoring salinity with the Neptune probe is useful but some people report success. I would do more research into the Neptune vs the upcoming hydros salinity probe. The hydros will likely be far superior.

Obviously I prefer hydros. You will be happy either way, both are polished products. The best for your situation comes down to small preferences either way.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut my teeth with neptune systems controllers. I can tell you that the criteria you set is easy to "monitor" with apex.

I caution you to disregard hearsay. When someone states "I heard it from a friend who was told by a friend" then it's just unfounded noise.

The issue I've always had with neptunes "conductivity" probe (they don't offer a salinity probe) is calibrating it. Accuracy aside, it does show trends, meaning if your ATO is stuck on, you would be able to see that in the graph as well as set a push notification if it swings too far either way.

The 2 units that you're looking at are championed by many people, the one thing that I would ask is, "which one can support my needs right now?".

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back