Help me plan a waterbox 20 cube build

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip down to the next paragraph if you want the short version, but I know some will ask a lot of questions so I'll explain some things in this first paragraph. Wife is likely losing her job soon and a huge portion of our household income a long with it. I will be downsizing from my 100g tank to a used 20g waterbox cube in an attempt to cut monthly expenses as well as pad the bank account. There is also the aspect of possibly losing the house and needing to move in with the inlaws for a bit, so having a tank with a small footprint is our only option to stay in the hobby for now. The plan is to move our favorite lps corals into the waterbox, and sell all of the sps and whatever lps doesn't fit. I will move over my clownfish pair, and probably purchase a goby/pistol shrimp pair and that be the only livestock other than regular clean up crew.

Picking up a used waterbox 20 cube and trying to be as budget friendly as possible. I do have some items on hand already, such as an ato, dosing pumps, and lights. My options for lighting are an ai prime hd, or a hydra 26 hd. I already have a mount for the ai prime, so nothing else needed to use it. I would need to purchase a mount for the hydra if I go that route.

If keeping lps only, is there any real benefit to the hydra over the prime? The cube is 17x17, so well within the spread capabilities of the prime. I can't imagine needing more par than it is capable of putting out.

I also have an ai nero5, which I suspect will be too large for this tank. I will likely sell it off and purchase a nero3 with that money, as I have been very happy with the Nero5 on my current setup.

Anyone have one of these tanks and care to share any input or guidance. Im looking for budget friendly and easy/cheap maintenance until our financial situation changes.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my build thread, as I have a number of the items you are referring to, except I went with the 20g Waterbox Clear Mini (no all-in-one rear "sump"). I would use the Nero 5, as you can dial it down sufficiently and still have it for the day when you ramp back up (if you decide to do so). (That is what is on my tank). I need to post some recent pictures post Dino-warfare. Also, it may change your mind about the AI versus the Hydra, but I'm keeping some light hungry 'nems.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back