Help me please

blackiechan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, started my first tank a little over a year ago has been doing well until recently. Could anybody tell me what this brown stuff is and how to deal with it?
54C59FD1-833E-47E2-9C96-4DFE97BA2D96.jpeg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, started my first tank a little over a year ago has been doing well until recently. Could anybody tell me what this brown stuff is and how to deal with it?
I’m not sure what it is but if you’d add a couple more pictures that would help. Is it encrusting? Does it scrape off? Etc etc

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano to me. Get some Chemiclean. Add it 2 days before your next water change. I do 3 days but that risk is up to you.

Use the Chemiclean 2 days before every water change.

Before you use the Chemiclean - take the cylendar part off of your siphon. Use just the hose and your thumb to remove as much of it as you can without spreading it around the tank.

Get a UV sterilizer... It will help with a lot of problems. If you get a UV, make sure to get one big enough - and be sure that the pump you get for it is big enough for the flow at the head height (4ft Pentair UV needs a Sicce 2.0)

The Chemiclean works great. I just used it on my cyano outbreak.

The cyano comes back... So, thats where using the Chemiclean every two weeks with water change comes in - and also using the UV sterilizer.

Express ship the Chemiclean or buy it from the LFS. Dont let it wait.

You need to throw an air stone in there when using the Chemiclean. It delpeletes the oxygen in the water.

Turn your lights off for a few days. The corals will be fine... But the cyano will die back a lot. It needs light.

Good luck.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give more pictures. Hard for everyone to accurately comment on one photo.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can you please describe your aquarium. What pumps etc you have. And more importantly what your current water parameters are and what your routine is for maintenence.

OP
OP
B

blackiechan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 32gallon Fluval flex with intank drop in baskets, tunze 9004 protein skimmer,and osmolator ato dosing kalk and 2 ai primes. I change filter floss every three days and 20% water change every Sunday.
Nitrate and phosphate are near zero can’t seem to get them up.
Cal 460
Alk 10dkh
Ph 8.3
I currently don’t have a mag test kit

from what I have read I’m pretty sure it’s dinos

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 32gallon Fluval flex with intank drop in baskets, tunze 9004 protein skimmer,and osmolator ato dosing kalk and 2 ai primes. I change filter floss every three days and 20% water change every Sunday.
Nitrate and phosphate are near zero can’t seem to get them up.
Cal 460
Alk 10dkh
Ph 8.3
I currently don’t have a mag test kit

from what I have read I’m pretty sure it’s dinos
Yeah. More pics would help also.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%

Back