Help me roll the dice with Angels in the Reef.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get an angelfish for my 175g mixed reef tank. It is primarily SPS but I have some LPS and some softies. I’m not as attached to the zoas and softies. I do like my torch and bubble coral. I am also very attached to my clams and bubble anemone.

My dream would be to get a red sea regal but that seems too risky with the clams from my research. I was considering getting a captive bred flame angel or captive bred coral beauty.

What would be the best angel to roll the dice on. I want to go into it with the best possible chance.

I auto feed TDO pellets 2x a day and I feed a DIY frozen every night. I also keep nori available all day.
17d373070aa64638dc538cdfbe88b28b.jpg
5d4a73669374b7051585f390dbb46a25.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had better luck so far with my regal then any dwarf angel I’ve had... my current potters will nip clams and most fluffy LPS.

Clams are always a very possible menu item, regardless of the angel. Torch and bubble corals less so. Neither of my current angels bother those.

If you want the best odds... the genicanthus angels are the way to go. Since they are primarily planktivores.

MarineMalecki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several coral beauty and female swallowtail angels with a variety of SPS, LPS, and softies with no issues at all. I've never had a clam, so I can't speak to those. In general they've been a beautiful addition to my tanks without any issues.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can tell you what's NOT worth eli g the dice with.. flame angels and goldflake angels. Historically I had good luck with flames but I recently added two very small ones to my 150gal reef and man they are constantly nipping at everything. They've killed 100s in acros so far and have no Hope's of getting them out. I am beyond devastated and feel like giving up. Coolest flames I've ever seen but were so not worth it.

A while ago I bought a pair of goldflakes. They loved fleshy coral like scolys and chalices which I could handle. The bigger one died and the smaller one would occasionally nip at my acros but man if one started going down hill it was relentless nipping it until it died. Luckily, he doesnt seem to any more but the flames are 10x worse. If you're confident you will be able to catch them then maybe but man if not it's not worth it.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No angels with clams. Period.
I have tried 5 times now, with 11 different angels. Not one worked and I have lost 3 clams because of the angels.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your playing some high stakes poker if your betting on a angel with clams. However I can’t testify to the tank raised angels. I have a flame that doesn’t touch any corals in the tank. But I don’t have a clam.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll aviod angels at this point. Unless my clam builds a wall......

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female Wantanabei angelfish in my tank with clams. No issues with it picking at anything.

I want a wantanabei or a masked swallowtail. Cool fish!

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Female Bellus in my mixed reef and she has not touched a single coral... I really want to add a Goldflake as they seem, from what I’ve read to be fairly safe in a mixed reef and I’ve seen a few on our forum that do fine.... still deciding if I’m gonna roll the dice.... dang I love Angels though!!!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back