Help me save this Aussie torch.

Rp.McMurphy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This torch was initially a deep purple with light tips. It bleached immediately upon getting in my tank. I have other LPS that is thriving up high so after it wasn't doing well on the sand I moved it up. That was probably a bad move. It's been in this shady spot for two weeks now.

Obviously the one head is a goner. Was hoping it would recover even if just half of it was healthy. Don't think that's going to happen. Should I dremel it off now? Anything I should do to help the remaining head heal?

Tank is a 4 month old Nuvo 20.
Alk- 8.3
NO3- 15
PO4- undetectable (Red Sea)
Sal- 1.026

AI Prime running pretty conservative lighting schedule. Advice?

IMG_9466.JPG

IMG_9468.JPG

OP
OP
Rp.McMurphy

Rp.McMurphy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should also add this was on the head when I got it. I super glued it pretty quick. Torch was Bayer dipped before going in to the tank.

IMG_9446.JPG

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you feeding it? If not try to.. Mine gets pretty sad looking if I neglect to feed it for extended amounts of time

OP
OP
Rp.McMurphy

Rp.McMurphy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies- I'll keep trying to feed it. Don't get much of a response from it so far.

I didn't know Bayer dips could cause that kind of reaction. Worth the risk but that's too bad.

Stan-Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show us your schedule for the AI prime, i've got a new torch that's doing really well in a 8 month old tank with similar params and same light.

OP
OP
Rp.McMurphy

Rp.McMurphy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show us your schedule for the AI prime, i've got a new torch that's doing really well in a 8 month old tank with similar params and same light.
I have two frogspawns at the top of the tank that are and always have been doing great so I assumed the torch would be okay as well. Don't think that was the case.

IMG_9483.PNG

Stan-Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two frogspawns at the top of the tank that are and always have been doing great so I assumed the torch would be okay as well. Don't think that was the case.

IMG_9483.PNG

Screenshot_20180813-195843.png

So yeah don't think it's a lighting issue at all it's a bit strange if it's just one coral and not any other

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in the bottom of the tank low flow low light, you'll know in about a week if it's going to make it. I wouldn't feed it yet either unless your tank is young. He's very weak and stressed right now.

OP
OP
Rp.McMurphy

Rp.McMurphy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in the shade on the bottom. My tank is only 4 months old so it is pretty young. Did get a bit of response last night with a feeding though. Think the one head may pull through but it's going to be a long while.

OP
OP
Rp.McMurphy

Rp.McMurphy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleaching is commonly a lighting issue. is it in too much / too little light?
Ha- well that's the million dollar question. I have a feeling the initial bleach was from the light, now I just hope keeping it in lower light will help it recover. But what if it needs more light? That's why I posted here. Need all you experts to weigh in.

OP
OP
Rp.McMurphy

Rp.McMurphy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a FTS for reference. It's currently down where the Duncan is in the lower left, but even further under the overhang.

IMG_9327.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back