Help me understand ICP results

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my ICP test results which I have posted below. I’m new to ICP as this is the first test I have done with them. I will leave it up to you experts to talk amongst yourselves as to what is going on in my tank. After performing various tests on my own and everything looking normal I assumed I had some heavy metals in the tank - not sure if the results indicate that?

Quick backdrop any beginner SPS (caps, digis, a few other sticks) within a week of being in the tank bleach out and die. Some of my Acan colonies are shriveling up (individual polyps) and bailing out.
Several different torches and hammers have also shriveled and bailed out.
Scoly - 1 bleeding apple is shriveling up and another just completely shriveled and died.
Zoas, blastos, some acans, some euphyllia, lobo, rock flowers, and large toadstool all seem to be doing great.
Tank has been running for about 6mo and some of the coral and rock came from a previous tank that was running for 5yrs prior. New tank is Waterbox 130.4.
PLEASE HELP!
889FE6C3-0BDA-4AB0-99CF-5834B32637B4.jpeg
CA5AA07A-16DF-4466-8C32-CEB0561DA813.jpeg

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to know. The resolution of the metals is to low in the test result shown. They should be in PPB instead of PPM. (1000 times smaller) The bigger values are all good or very good wich makes me believe it is something else.
I would measure he nitrate and test a heavy carbon filtering against organic poisons.
If You want better ICP values try Triton or ATI.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to know. The resolution of the metals is to low in the test result shown. They should be in PPB instead of PPM. (1000 times smaller) The bigger values are all good or very good wich makes me believe it is something else.
I would measure he nitrate and test a heavy carbon filtering against organic poisons.
If You want better ICP values try Triton or ATI.
Ok thanks for the input. Nitrate is measuring at 5ppm (Hanna) and Phosphate when I lay checked was .04ppm (Hanna ULR).
What do you mean by “test a heavy carbon filtering against organic poisons?” Wouldn’t regular WC alleviate any potential organic poisons? I run a bag of carbon on the system. I also bought some Chemi Pure Blue but haven’t started using it yet.
As this was my first ICP test I didn’t realize there were other providers so I will get kits from them as well.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the input. Nitrate is measuring at 5ppm (Hanna) and Phosphate when I lay checked was .04ppm (Hanna ULR).
What do you mean by “test a heavy carbon filtering against organic poisons?” Wouldn’t regular WC alleviate any potential organic poisons? I run a bag of carbon on the system. I also bought some Chemi Pure Blue but haven’t started using it yet.
As this was my first ICP test I didn’t realize there were other providers so I will get kits from them as well.
I prefer the ATI ICP

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe something is poisoning the corals.
It could be metals in the water but it can just as well be poisons from other corals.
From the test I can see that the salinity is OK but the temperature could be something.
I would do an extra check with an old fashion thermometer.

The water values light and circulation is the things corals need. In the long term many need food too.
If the values in the tank the corals come from is massive different chock can be a thing to consider.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe something is poisoning the corals.
It could be metals in the water but it can just as well be poisons from other corals.
From the test I can see that the salinity is OK but the temperature could be something.
I would do an extra check with an old fashion thermometer.

The water values light and circulation is the things corals need. In the long term many need food too.
If the values in the tank the corals come from is massive different chock can be a thing to consider.
Would the Chemi Pure Blue or Elite help to eliminate any poisons? If not, what do you recommend? The salinity is a little on the low end - ICP showed 30ppt however, I do not believe that would cause the issues I am seeing.

I feed regularly Red Sea AB+, Reef Roids, Fauna Marin LPS pellets, brine, mysis, bloodworms. I am also dosing Acropower for aminos.

The tank is monitored and controlled via Apex and the temperature is kept in a tight range from 77.5-78. Lighting is via 2 XR30 G4 w/ diffuser at a max of 60%. Circulation is via 2 MP40 and main circulation via M1.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still test the temperature . In my opinion is it silly to do both the control and the monitoring of the temperature with the same device.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still test the temperature . In my opinion is it silly to do both the control and the monitoring of the temperature with the same device.
Ok I am getting an inkbird from a local reefer and will test it. What range do you keep your tank?

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep my tanks around 78 degrees. In the quarantine around 80. Lately I had 84 in my show tank because I had to clean my garage from a lot of leftover construction wood that I burned in my fireplace. It is very seldom I have issues with the temperature in the show tank. It is build in and has a temperature controlled fan for the lights that is adjusted to give 78 degrees.
It is Years since it was so warm but no problem.

The ICP analysis is a very bad kind of analysis. The measurement values varies a lot so You have to test standards with known concentration of the different elements and "dial in" the values from a test with the standards to the correct values and then use it for the tests to be made. This calibration must be made more than once a day if You are making many tests. How correct the test is lays in the hand of the machine operator.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between the ICP analysis I did vs ATI vs Triton other than cost? Don’t they all measure and look at the same thing?
Here is my ATI ICP results. Compare it to the op results chart compared to ATI and you tell me. The 88% is water quality, 100% being perfect water chemistry.
Screenshot_20210122-122213_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-122234_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-122244_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210122-122252_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-122340_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210122-122340_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210122-122340_Chrome.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between the ICP analysis I did vs ATI vs Triton other than cost? Don’t they all measure and look at the same thing?

Yes. And all batters in major league baseball are trying to high the same ball with the same bats. ICP in seawater is not simple plug and play.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back