Help me understand Shipping!

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is typical for USPS but about 2 months ago I got a shipment of corals and the sender used USPS. My regular mail comes around 2PM. The overnighted USPS package was delivered at 10:30AM by a different USPS driver than my regular mailman. Since then I assumed overnight packages are delivered by "overnight" delivery men and not regular mailmen. Maybe someone should check with USPS and see if overnighted packages are delivered on the regular mail truck or if they have dedicated overnight package delivery men that will get the package delivered earlier.

USPS Express/USPS Priority is sometimes guaranteed by 10:30AM, just like UPS and FedEx. It all depends on the recipient's zip code.

In fact, I recently shipped corals to someone, here on R2R. His zip code didn't qualify for USPS Express/Priority, next day service, even though he was only 1 state away. However, using the zip code of a different Post Office, that was only a few miles from his home/work, that zip code did qualify, if Held For Pickup. This saved A LOT of money, on shipping fees and he was able to pick up the package, at that Post Office, early morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonPG

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to note...

The USPS will deliver anywhere. They have to.

UPS and FedEx can pick and choose which zip codes and country roads they choose to deliver to.

*bonus points for ending the previous sentence in a preposition*

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back