Help Me Understand

rneely2111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 16 in my classroom. I've had this tank for approx. 4 weeks. On Tuesday (5/25) I cleaned the substrate and replenished the water I suctioned out with fresh saltwater. The only difference is instead of using Prime I used API Tap Water Conditioner. Once complete the tank ran for approx. 4-5 hours before I checked the water for salt, nitrite, nitrate, and PH. Each checked out fine. On Wednesday (5/26) I walked into my classroom and went to check on my Bicolored Angel Fish, Chocolate Chip Star Fish, and Red Fire Shrimp were all dead! The Biocube was running perfectly. I again checked all of the water parameters and they were fine. The water did have a metallic smell to it. Does anyone have any clue what would cause everything to die between 5pm - 7am?

Luis's Nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not sure how that API water conditioner works but did you check the freshwater after using the product? Maybe TDS was crazy high or something. How much water did you have to replenish?

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be worth checking the heaters and pumps to see if one of them leaked or otherwise malfunctioned. Since it is in a classroom, any chance a cleaning product, pesticide, or other substance was used while you were gone? Another option could be something from the tap water, if the water treatment plant was conducting a flush of some sort, but I'd lean towards a heater or pump leak.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S A B O T A G E

Sounds to me like a coworker, or maintenance person or a student put something toxic in the tank to tell you how much they love you.

Especially when school is wrapping up. A final one-finger salute to you.

Ppl suck

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a protein skimmer? Im gonna say lack of oxygen. A dwarf angelfish in a 16gal biocube alone with no skimmer would prob be max.
D
Um ya....dwarf angel doesn't mean dwarf tank....not to mention not sure I would put a bi-colour in a tank 4 weeks old....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back