Help moving new tank?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Empty with 1/2" glass should be around 400-425 lbs. Depends on bracing and all that.

Empty with 3/4" glass should be around 600-650 lbs depending on bracing and all that.

I know for a fact that a tank that size can be moved easily with 4 people, provided it is 1/2" glass.

3/4" glass, not sure.

The door where you are getting the tank, is it double doors or just a standard door?

Same at your house for the door as well?

Are you sure on those weights?? My 5 foot 1/2" tank weight 400+ pounds, granted it has a 3/4" bottom and side panel I didn't know about ;Shifty Made it super heavy for what it is.

I wonder if glass cages could give him an estimated weight if they actually built it ?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure on those weights?? My 5 foot 1/2" tank weight 400+ pounds, granted it has a 3/4" bottom and side panels I didn't know about ;Shifty Made it super heavy for what it is.
When you go up to 3/4 that is where the weight comes in. If it is glass cages, those numbers should be dead on. I have had a ton of their tanks over the years.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The door there is a single door. The door here is a garage door and a straight shot to where it's going.
The single door part will be an issue for sure, but manageable. I would say 6 people would be needed to work it through the door, even on a 1/2 thick glass tank. Very hard to manage the load through a normal doorway.

3/4" glass, furniture dollies and some pieces of plywood for door sill ramps would work. Then 6 people could load the tank with no issues.

Or start calling moving companies lol. I can tell you this, moving big tanks is not fun, your back always hurts afterwards lol, and I am in the process of doing that now as we are moving, so that is first hand lol.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's got all the top euro bracing as well just like the other Glass cages tanks.
If it has all the bracing, 3/4" glass, glass overflows with the plastic covers, and all that other stuff. It is possibly over 700 lbs. My old 96" 300 from them topped out at about 900 lbs with 3/4" glass

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The single door part will be an issue for sure, but manageable. I would say 6 people would be needed to work it through the door, even on a 1/2 thick glass tank. Very hard to manage the load through a normal doorway.

3/4" glass, furniture dollies and some pieces of plywood for door sill ramps would work. Then 6 people could load the tank with no issues.

Or start calling moving companies lol. I can tell you this, moving big tanks is not fun, your back always hurts afterwards lol, and I am in the process of doing that now as we are moving, so that is first hand lol.
I was leaning against 6. I rather be safe than sorry. This is the last tank for a loooong time, and will allow me to downsize. I have a call out to someone Sean at Emerald Bay told me about to price this too, but 6 to me makes sense. Now to find like 5 more willing souls to help me move it and the puffers

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has all the bracing, 3/4" glass, glass overflows with the plastic covers, and all that other stuff. It is possibly over 700 lbs. My old 96" 300 from them topped out at about 900 lbs with 3/4" glass
6 people and some Dolly's and such sound like a good option. The seller said they used some PVC tocroll it in when he first got it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning against 6. I rather be safe than sorry. This is the last tank for a loooong time, and will allow me to downsize. I have a call out to someone Sean at Emerald Bay told me about to price this too, but 6 to me makes sense. Now to find like 5 more willing souls to help me move it and the puffers
I will take the puffers off your hands, so you dont have to move them lol.

But, the people Sean is suggesting, I think moved a co-workers tank from his old house to his new house and the pricing was not bad. I will be at Emerald later today and ask Sean who it was he gave you to call and who moved my co-workers tank. If it is the same people, they do a top notch job.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take the puffers off your hands, so you dont have to move them lol.

But, the people Sean is suggesting, I think moved a co-workers tank from his old house to his new house and the pricing was not bad. I will be at Emerald later today and ask Sean who it was he gave you to call and who moved my co-workers tank. If it is the same people, they do a top notch job.
We may be able to work out a deal then! He gave me Sam's number. I'll gladly pay him to do this if it's around the same price. I called Sam yesterday, just awaiting a call back. I was hoping to not set the tank up until I can get new wiring at the house etc, but with 2 puffers still in it, that makes it tricky

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We may be able to work out a deal then! He gave me Sam's number. I'll gladly pay him to do this if it's around the same price. I called Sam yesterday, just awaiting a call back. I was hoping to not set the tank up until I can get new wiring at the house etc, but with 2 puffers still in it, that makes it tricky
It was Sam. Also, Sam does best if you text him. No idea why, but he will respond to texts pretty quick.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was Sam. Also, Sam does best if you text him. No idea why, but he will respond to texts pretty quick.
He just texted me earlier m I am waiting on further texts from him so we can price and get something potentially scheduled. The 4-500 bucks I'd pay him really to me is worth it to not worry

Nicholas Scelzi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently moved a 220 with a couple of friends.

1. get a Friend with a truck
2. 3-4 friends to help lift and move the tank. Bungie cords to help hold into place as well as I took some old beatup couch cushion and placed them on the sides to help not allow movement during the drive.

Getting mine into the new location was as simple as through the garage and a straight shot as well.. don't overthink it just take your time, drive slow, and carefully!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently moved a 220 with a couple of friends.

1. get a Friend with a truck
2. 3-4 friends to help lift and move the tank. Bungie cords to help hold into place as well as I took some old beatup couch cushion and placed them on the sides to help not allow movement during the drive.

Getting mine into the new location was as simple as through the garage and a straight shot as well.. don't overthink it just take your time, drive slow, and carefully!
Thanks man! This one's 7 foot, so it makes it a bit more difficult. I'm going to get a price from Sam, and then go from there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back