OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clean rock and sand I cant tell?
I did clean the sand and I picked off a lot of algae from the back of the base rocks. But I have yet to take out some rocks and blast them.

Once I get back home today, I will deep clean at least 2 rocks.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kenya tree is looking better than ever in the sand bed:
49B6C8AC-8808-4868-80FA-65A3E36CF3F6.jpeg

Torch is improving by the hour:
5A8DCE5D-ECC0-465A-A880-63CF957B6155.jpeg

Mushrooms are also spreading:
8927F1CE-049E-4D50-B7C2-1F786FCC2CC0.jpeg

And the reclusive Duncan is opening up:
94F0E8ED-7ED5-4DAC-99A7-0926A0538E46.jpeg

(goby also found a new spot to hang ;Hilarious )

Attachments

• 125D73EF-0194-4207-8B9D-C0E5F206F6E4.jpeg
    125D73EF-0194-4207-8B9D-C0E5F206F6E4.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 34

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did clean the sand and I picked off a lot of algae from the back of the base rocks. But I have yet to take out some rocks and blast them.

Once I get back home today, I will deep clean at least 2 rocks.
What where params when you tested last? Looks like both nitrates and phosphates elevated on you a little. As expected.
Not horrible numbers. But realisticly going to continue growing algae out of control until you get a handle on it.
Something about a deep, thorough clean and blast really removes nitrates and phosphates at surface level. Where they bind and begin to grow into algae im sure.
Get your deep clean done. See where params land.
Did you see photos of tank that Brandon posted?
Thats how you want it to look

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your nitrates at 0.25ppm or 25ppm (pretty sure the only tester with 0.25 resolution is the Hanna LR nitrate checker)?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the old nitrate test was a different kit than what he's using now?
Possibly. Could be error and/or lots of cyano and algae death. My Nitrates went from 15ppm to undetectable high nitrates when I treat my system for cyano. Also seen huge fluctuations when I was battling turf algae.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I'm saying full system scrub and redo. Just killed a bunch of algae and most likely cyano during blackout. Only to release nutrients back into system to fuel turf algae now that lights are on.
Destroying it at surface level with complete scrub down with weekly water changes is only way hes gonna get a handle on things.

James post up some pix of your tank looking like the one Brandon posted for you. Until you do that its really only kinda beating a dead horse.
No easy way out of it all. Hard work and dedication will get you to next level. Once next level is achieved then we can help you maintain your reef like a boss lol
Wish there was a quick fix honestly but I would take how ever many months it took to let it get that way and factor in thats how long it going to take to fix it especially if you slow play.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I'm saying full system scrub and redo. Just killed a bunch of algae and most likely cyano during blackout. Only to release nutrients back into system to fuel turf algae now that lights are on.
Destroying it at surface level with complete scrub down with weekly water changes is only way hes gonna get a handle on things.

James post up some pix of your tank looking like the one Brandon posted for you. Until you do that its really only kinda beating a dead horse.
No easy way out of it all. Hard work and dedication will get you to next level. Once next level is achieved then we can help you maintain your reef like a boss lol
Wish there was a quick fix honestly but I would take how ever many months it took to let it get that way and factor in thats how long it going to take to fix it especially if you slow play.
Trying to think of when I would have time to do this.

I have work tomorrow and then my homeschool group meeting the next day, so it would probably have to be Friday.

Would it be OK to wait this long?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely an error. Either I did this last test wrong, or the one before that. ;Facepalm :rolleyes:

I will re test when I get home, and make sure I do it CORRECTLY this time.
Don't be surprised if its correct:D

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to think of when I would have time to do this.

I have work tomorrow and then my homeschool group meeting the next day, so it would probably have to be Friday.

Would it be OK to wait this long?
Yes. If you can find a couple Rubbermaid tubs and buckets in garage save your water, corals and fish in buckets. Yank it all out. Rinse sand. Scrub down rock and rinse like we talked about.
Get it done though your only going in circle until you correct the issue

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I know the rip clean is key here. New systems benefit so much, and much older systems can as well. If needed.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the rip clean is key here. New systems benefit so much, and much older systems can as well. If needed.
For sure. I'll be honest id hate to see what that algae does once it starts growing on Torch skeleton and encroaching tissue. I know I have certain shrooms that melt just thinking about things like that.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For sure. I'll be honest id hate to see what that algae does once it starts growing on Torch skeleton and encroaching tissue. I know I have certain shrooms that melt just thinking about things like that.
;Dead It's how I lost bubble corals I bought from petco. I didn't see there was algae growing on their septa. Until, it was able to take over the skeleton. It's horrible.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back