5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So apparently last night, the corner stone of the arch fell down:
09F4FC21-63DB-43B4-9637-C6B03BB3B4A9.jpeg
9D76AF05-BD5B-4108-A961-76762A8D089E.jpeg

No clue how it didn’t absolutely crush any coral, but I am glad about it.

——

Should I turn my lights on today?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are corals acting? Are they less stressed and opening to natural daylight in room?

It probably won't hurt to turn lights on at 25% to see how they react. If its positive let them re acclimate to light and bump it up to 50% within a few days. Nothing fast is going to make it better. Listen to your corals they will tell you.

Also when the last time you checked Nitrates and phosphates? I'd imagine you have a bump in Nitrates since you've been in dark for a few days and if you put the chemipure elite in you need to be super careful not to bottom your phosphates.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are corals acting? Are they less stressed and opening to natural daylight in room?

It probably won't hurt to turn lights on at 25% to see how they react. If its positive let them re acclimate to light and bump it up to 50% within a few days. Nothing fast is going to make it better. Listen to your corals they will tell you.

Also when the last time you checked Nitrates and phosphates? I'd imagine you have a bump in Nitrates since you've been in dark for a few days and if you put the chemipure elite in you need to be super careful not to bottom your phosphates.
They are doing great, and are reaching towards the rays of sunlight streaming in through the tank.

I will test phosphates and nitrates as soon as I get the chance.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could try the 25%, I don't know the power of your lights. LRT is probably correct here.

Edit: I say this because, light shock will bleach a coral out. And you have to start from low light to begin with to prevent it being killed from more light.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are doing great, and are reaching towards the rays of sunlight streaming in through the tank.

I will test phosphates and nitrates as soon as I get the chance.
Way sooner than later would probably be best practice here. I think your going to be surprised what you see when you do test. Especially if you cleaned your rock.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try the 25%, I don't know the power of your lights. LRT is probably correct here.

Edit: I say this because, light shock will bleach a coral out. And you have to start from low light to begin with to prevent it being killed from more light.
I def erred to low side. 50% probably wouldn't hurt to be real.
Trick is going to be not looking at how great some or most look when lights come back on. But watching the corals that got stressed and burnt the worse to see how they react.
Torch would probably be whats driving the light situation from here on out.
The others could probably be put in shaded areas for full recovery:D

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I def erred to low side. 50% probably wouldn't hurt to be real.
Trick is going to be not looking at how great some or most look when lights come back on. But watching the corals that got stressed and burnt the worse to see how they react.
Torch would probably be whats driving the light situation from here on out.
The others could probably be put in shaded areas for full recovery:D
So if the torch is doing good, and enjoying the strength of the light, then the other coral should be ok?

It looks good considering:
CE15837B-C65A-4DEE-83F9-235D634431C2.jpeg

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan has some new heads showing up! Torch is still a little stressed. But, looks good.
Yup! It happened over the past 2 weeks or so.

I would hope 25% would help kill off some algae.
I put it on around 35% (?), so it’s sort of in between.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope 25% would help kill off some algae.
Agreed. Thats kinda why I'm pushing testing params. When algae dies it will release nutrients back into the water. I learned this the hard way lol. Cyano bacteria will do this in a big way as well.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup! It happened over the past 2 weeks or so.

I put it on around 35% (?), so it’s sort of in between.
the real thing is, watching corals. Reaching for the light, super extension and inflating is them trying to get more light, sadly sps cannot do this.

Edit: this is why I said, trust your torch. It will have the best body language you can read for your corals.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the torch is doing good, and enjoying the strength of the light, then the other coral should be ok?

It looks good considering:
CE15837B-C65A-4DEE-83F9-235D634431C2.jpeg
Id hate to give you wrong advice.
So ill stick with listen to the corals they will tell you what they need as far as intensity. I'll just add ive burned up plenty of corals in too much lamp and never really hurt anything erring to less intense side. Most great torch garden growers usually say they run torches around 100-150 par max. That really isn't much to accomplish tbh. My floor is averaging 100 par with my lamp barely on at 21" above water line in @ 13-14" deep.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back