OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't cover the tank to darken it. Just keep your room lit like LRT said.

It will take time for the shock to go away. in a few days I would go to 50% of what you did use for lights.
Yes, I wasn’t going to cover it.

You have a nice camera. You need to start documenting your corals.
Examples of mine corals sleeping.
20210820_071539.jpg
Torch just finished splitting after 8 months. Took her long enough
20210820_071602.jpg 20210820_071628.jpg 20210820_071637.jpg
This goni here has been through a lot since I have had it. It has survived brown jelly 3 times, a torch sting and being shredded by a powder blue tang.
This is what it looked like before
goni happy.jpg
And now it is recovering after removing a monster PBT
goni small.jpg
Understanding each coral is very critical. This is hard work. You got the camera, you can do it. Take photos and write observation notes on each one. I am sure we all do this. Until we don't need too anymore.
If I could get another goni colony, I can show you one ticked off torch. My torch HATES new goniopora's being added into the tank. But, I just bought a trachy brain. So we will see how she responds tuesday to that addition.

Edit: and Yes, I am worried for you. I have had my battles. I still have them.
I do have a journal!!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And yes, I've been here. bad picture. but my heart was breaking and my chalice was dying. Most of my red cap and digitata died. I lost my tree coral. All due to a heater not turning off one night. This took place days after corals were dying. GHA came in to clean up the death.

IMG_20150501_200009.jpg

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I should have my light on for some reason?

@LRT, you mentioned that you had your lights off for days and your mushrooms were perfectly fine. But I have LPS, but more specificity, SPS. SPS need a lot of light so might they die if they have no light for 2 days?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They need to rest. Think of it as the others said but in a different way "pretend there's storm on the reef" how dark would it be? How long does it Last?

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to rest. Think of it as the others said but in a different way "pretend there's storm on the reef" how dark would it be? How long does it Last?
In the wild this wouldn’t be an issue, because they are used to it. But these corals have been tank raised their whole life and have probably never experienced a “storm”.

I’m only asking because the favia and the digi aren’t looking to good… :/

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble algae concerns me. This stuff doesn't just grow from overexposure...

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need some emerald crabs for your bubble algae. Reduce as much algae you can, your corals are having a hard time fighting over nutrients from the massive amount of algae.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will try to remove a ton of algae today.
I am sure you have been asked 10 to 20 times. Was your rock dry or live?
If it was dry rock , I would do a rip clean. If half was dry rock. I would do a rip clean.. Dry rock will leach out phosphates and can for a few months.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure you have been asked 10 to 20 times. Was your rock dry or live?
If it was dry rock , I would do a rip clean. If half was dry rock. I would do a rip clean.. Dry rock will leach out phosphates and can for a few months.
80% dry, 20% live.

The issue with me doing a “rip clean”, is o doubt I would ever be able to get them perfectly stacked again. They aren’t glued or cemented together, so they are just balancing right now.

I like the idea of just completely removing all the rocks and blasting the heck out of them with water, but I don’t know how it would work.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James you could try turning your lights on super low intensity on same schedule in the morning see how they react. If its positive reaction go to 50% of what they where before power outage the next day. Your corals will tell you if they want and need MOAR lamp.
We are not there to see what you are seeing.
I will say dark period never hurt anything and its practiced pretty regularly in the Dino threads. And as said a pretty regular natural occurrence on reefs during storms.
There really is going to be no easy, fast fix here. Now is a great time to start thinking about redesigning your scape so you can easily maintain your rock and sand.. Thats pretty much first rule of scape design club. Easy Dissasemble should have been thought about and designed into assemble from the start.
Really would start thinking about long term health and maintenance on that reef and how your going to achieve that.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I should have my light on for some reason?

@LRT, you mentioned that you had your lights off for days and your mushrooms were perfectly fine. But I have LPS, but more specificity, SPS. SPS need a lot of light so might they die if they have no light for 2 days?
I forgot to mention I have a bunch of what I call imposter corals on my shroom lagoon. Imposters are basicly all corals not shrooms haha. All my imposter corals lived through dark ages. Actually think it helped them if anything. Like I said I have a sun coral that is not happy unless thing are 100% dialed and locked in. It lived and is popping new heads.
Trust the advice that has been given here.

@brandon429 can you please link a thread to one of those small reef rip cleans?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back