Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding in the extra CUC to help.
6D2CEECF-5529-4FB5-9ECC-FD2338D38AF5.jpeg

Ended up getting 10x blue legged hermits (they had a deal at 10 for $10, so it was a steal) and 3x Astrea snails.

Some of these look nice and strong, so I’m hoping they make a big difference.
Place them on top of the parts you need help with. don't make them guess.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James my shrooms sat in dark for 5 days during upgrade. Corals see longer periods of dark during storms on the reef. Id personally turn the lights completely off for few days. While lights are off get a handle on sand and rock.
Then lower intensity and put your lights back on schedule they are acclimated to. A quarter of the intensity they where at. Slowly over cpl weeks bring them back up when you see the reacting positive. I just literally went through it.
Chemipure elite is not bad. In fact idk how it works so well. What im saying is. Check your phosphates daily. And remove it once you get to .05.
You dont want to bottom out phosphates = dinos.
I was told previously that my phosphate readings might be inaccurate, because of all the algae? How do I know if it’s accurate or not? (I’m using API by the way, for phos and nitrate)

—-

But yes, I will black the day out for a couple of days and work on the sand bed/rocks.

I’m just really sad about my big colony melting. It’s still alive, but I can tell some heads have died and others are super small. :(

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place them on top of the parts you need help with. don't make them guess.
Yes, I placed some on the heavy algae parts of the rock and others on the sand bed where the algae was the most dense. Tomorrow, if they are chilling in clean sand, I might move them back to ‘dirty’ sections.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was told previously that my phosphate readings might be inaccurate, because of all the algae? How do I know if it’s accurate or not? (I’m using API by the way, for phos and nitrate)

—-

But yes, I will black the day out for a couple of days and work on the sand bed/rocks.

I’m just really sad about my big colony melting. It’s still alive, but I can tell some heads have died and others are super small. :(
Right now, trust that torch. I don't know how else to put it into words. You are going to have to learn it's language. And now is the time to do just that.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James i had a particular type of hair algae that wiped my phosphates completely out when I ran my turf scrubber. Yes certain algae can harbor phosphates that can be released back in when it dies same as nitrates.
Getting it all gone is only way to get a true reading on where your params sit.
Get back on schedule you where before. The same due diligence routine. Dont stop until you have a handle on it that size tank. With dedication you will have it back in shape in no time.
You have gotten the best advice you could have gotten here. Just need to do the work now.

You will lose some corals in sure if your seeing death watch your ammonia. Remove the dead parts. Just stay on top of it.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, trust that torch. I don't know how else to put it into words. You are going to have to learn it's language. And now is the time to do just that.
Great advice. I have a sun coral that lets me know when something is wrong. If its happy everyone is happy for sure.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my Cuc never really made a dent until I got a handle on things. Now they scavenge for algae and food. Hermits be spit shining my shrooms feet looking for strands they may have missed.
Hard work and dedication to scrubbing and ripping clean is only way to make it right. I scrubbed my rocks every water change for a few months until it just stopped growing and was replaced by coraline.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
great advice here James.
must stop buying corals ,get tank stable first.
dedication to getting this cleaned up and stabilized is key.
heed the advice given here.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great advice here James.
must stop buying corals ,get tank stable first.
dedication to getting this cleaned up and stabilized is key.
heed the advice given here.
Yessir, definitely won’t be buying any coral anytime soon.

CuC will help but probably not noticeably. Manual removal of algae is best. The CuC gets what you don't.
Yes, of course.

I have to go to work today, so it might be pretty late tonight before I get to do it.

James i had a particular type of hair algae that wiped my phosphates completely out when I ran my turf scrubber. Yes certain algae can harbor phosphates that can be released back in when it dies same as nitrates.
Getting it all gone is only way to get a true reading on where your params sit.
Get back on schedule you where before. The same due diligence routine. Dont stop until you have a handle on it that size tank. With dedication you will have it back in shape in no time.
You have gotten the best advice you could have gotten here. Just need to do the work now.

You will lose some corals in sure if your seeing death watch your ammonia. Remove the dead parts. Just stay on top of it.
Dang, I really hope I don’t loose any coral.

—-

The tank is completely blacked out now and all the corals look pretty much the same.

Will it be normal over the next few days to see them all closed up, because there’s no light?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yessir, definitely won’t be buying any coral anytime soon.

Yes, of course.

I have to go to work today, so it might be pretty late tonight before I get to do it.

Dang, I really hope I don’t loose any coral.

—-

The tank is completely blacked out now and all the corals look pretty much the same.

Will it be normal over the next few days to see them all closed up, because there’s no light?
I didn't black mine out. Some natural light in room can't hurt anything and will allow you to observe what they are doing some of my crispy shrooms didn't even start responding to light until around 3rd day. Yours may bounce back quicker. Slow and steady wins the race. Consistently and stability is key.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't cover the tank to darken it. Just keep your room lit like LRT said.

It will take time for the shock to go away. in a few days I would go to 50% of what you did use for lights.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have a nice camera. You need to start documenting your corals.
Examples of mine corals sleeping.
20210820_071539.jpg
Torch just finished splitting after 8 months. Took her long enough
20210820_071602.jpg 20210820_071628.jpg 20210820_071637.jpg
This goni here has been through a lot since I have had it. It has survived brown jelly 3 times, a torch sting and being shredded by a powder blue tang.
This is what it looked like before
goni happy.jpg
And now it is recovering after removing a monster PBT
goni small.jpg
Understanding each coral is very critical. This is hard work. You got the camera, you can do it. Take photos and write observation notes on each one. I am sure we all do this. Until we don't need too anymore.
If I could get another goni colony, I can show you one ticked off torch. My torch HATES new goniopora's being added into the tank. But, I just bought a trachy brain. So we will see how she responds tuesday to that addition.

Edit: and Yes, I am worried for you. I have had my battles. I still have them.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back