Help! My fish are dying

djlc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to a dead royal gamma which was perfectly fine yesterday and active. I have two yellow tail clownfish, a gobe fire fish and a lont tentacle anemone. All water parameters are good and nothing is wrong, same with salinity. The tank is a 20 gallon long and has great filtration and flow. I also have some diatoms but I have it under control and phosguard has always removed it on new tanks. However, I looked at one of the clownfish and I noticed his fins are deteriorating. The fire fish tail also seems to be deteriorating. They look like strings now! I don’t know what to do, please help!

345F36F0-968E-4656-A607-3C64E48BF654.jpeg BE776CE2-A4DF-4E51-A486-430896658DC2.jpeg

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I see what some white spots in this pic, they could have been dealing with ich, as far as the fins its possible another fish was nipping it or maybe fin rot. the clown looks a bit advanced in the sickness...if you take em out and treat it most likely it wont make it...this also seems to be a new setup by the brown algae on the sand was it fully cycled before you added the fish?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like fin rot on the clownfish. Sorry this is happening. How old is the tank? Params? Did you quarantine your fish? Get the from a reputable source?

OP
OP
D

djlc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is fairly new and has been up for a month. The clown in the picture is actively eating and moving around the tank. I heard that using api melafix and dipping the infected fish in freshwater could help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The clown appears to have brooklynella which spots appear and mucus starts at the face and covers the body. Fire fish also susceptible to it. It can lead to secondary bacteria infection.
You can give fish a freshwater dip for temporary relief But it’s not a cure
Formalin baths will be the treatment of choice (general cure is a good form) and start treatment ASAP
Quarantine and treatment is best route to treatment

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah need more details what exactly are your parameters just saying they are good doesn't help us. As asked above how old is the tank? How long have you had the fish can you post more pictures

OP
OP
D

djlc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature is 77-78
Salinity is 1.25
pH is around 8
Ammonia shows to be 0 same with nitrites
Nitrates around 10ppm

OP
OP
D

djlc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger clownfish looks to be doing just fine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
D

djlc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the fish for about two weeks. I have bigger 40 gallon reef tank as well that looks to be doing just fine, however a couple days ago I mixed some water while moving a fish. I’m not sure if this will harm the other one.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two clownfish are from Petco that’s probably why. All my other fish aren’t from Petco
My first fish were from Petco. I then had to go fallow for 90 days, after losing everything.

Sorry about your fish. The moral of this story, which I too had to learn the hard way, is to BUY NOTHING LIVE FROM PETCO!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

djlc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish were from Petco. I then had to go fallow for 90 days, after losing everything.

Sorry about your fish. The moral of this story, which I too had to learn the hard way, is to BUY NOTHING LIVE FROM PETCO!
Unfortunately it seems like Petco is the cause. I called them and they told me they have a no return policy on saltwater fish; however, would be willing to make an exception for me. Hopefully the other fish in the other tank won’t suffer from the same thing. I won’t be buying live fish from Petco anymore

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree, buying saltwater fish from a store that doesnt specialize in SW is a risky move. Buying a few tetras from PetSmart is understandable, but things such as mandarins and clowns should probably be bought somewhere more trustworthy. Same with reptiles.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, buying saltwater fish from a store that doesnt specialize in SW is a risky move. Buying a few tetras from PetSmart is understandable, but things such as mandarins and clowns should probably be bought somewhere more trustworthy. Same with reptiles.
I bought my reptiles from PetSmart. Not too unhealthy. The anoles needed some fattening up. The big issue is the amount of times PetSmart and Petco simply lie about their livestock's health, and it usually becomes more work nursing them back. Definitely easier and safer to buy from a place that specializes in animals.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always love when people say parameters are all good and then fail to even list half when asked again.

One month old tank without quarantining anything.....well what did you expect.

Slow down and do some research first.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my reptiles from PetSmart. Not too unhealthy. The anoles needed some fattening up. The big issue is the amount of times PetSmart and Petco simply lie about their livestock's health, and it usually becomes more work nursing them back. Definitely easier and safer to buy from a place that specializes in animals.
Agreed. I'd like a ball python, I've seen corn snakes at Petsmart and it looked very healthy tbh. But they dont actually tell you the snake morph, they only say "fancy corn snake" or "fancy ball python".
I'd probably buy from a dealer that actually knows its morphs tho, blue eyed lucy's are my favorites lol.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I'd like a ball python, I've seen corn snakes at Petsmart and it looked very healthy tbh. But they dont actually tell you the snake morph, they only say "fancy corn snake" or "fancy ball python".
I'd probably buy from a dealer that actually knows its morphs tho, blue eyed lucy's are my favorites lol.
Yeah, I will say that Petco tends to have a lot more variety and rare creatures in their reptile and fish selection, but they’re a lot less healthy and much more neglected than any Petsmart specimens I’ve seen. Almost always there’s missing tails and MBD with the reptiles, and ALWAYS so much velvet on the fish!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back