HELP! MY MOM BOUGHT ME FISH!!!

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom just showed up a few hours ago with 2 snowflake clownfish and what looks like a zoa coral for my tank as a gift. The problem with this is my tank is only a week old and not cycled yet! I have the fish and coral in their bags floating in the tank so they don't get cold but I just tested my tank and my ammonia is still 1ppm. I called the store she bought them at and asked if they would take them back for credit or quarantine them for me but they won't. A friend of mine suggested a 50% water change and a bottle of nitrifying bacteria. What should I do?!

OP
OP
M3d1C

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT and I can't take them back. I appreciate what my mom did and educated her on why not to do it again, gently I might add. To which she cried and I felt bad... I know clownfish are hardy and I have a big bottle of ATM colony a friend just dropped off. I'm mixing about 5 gallons of new water right now as I post this. I called the LFS here in my town and he said to try the water change and the colony and he would get me a piece of LR out of one of his tanks to help me. Is there anything anyone can recommend?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree with all above ,do a water change ,add ammo reducer,keep fish floating ,when you get back w rock,do change add ammo drip acclimate clowns ,put them in ,they will be fine,as far as zoas freshwater dip in temperate water swish and add to tank ,then send us pics.. ps wash hands well after touching zoas.do not put any lfs water in tank put clowns in by hand no worries happy reefing

randilio1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. Colony works wonders. Clownfish are Hardy. Should be fine. The LR will help a lot too
I don't have a QT and I can't take them back. I appreciate what my mom did and educated her on why not to do it again, gently I might add. To which she cried and I felt bad... I know clownfish are hardy and I have a big bottle of ATM colony a friend just dropped off. I'm mixing about 5 gallons of new water right now as I post this. I called the LFS here in my town and he said to try the water change and the colony and he would get me a piece of LR out of one of his tanks to help me. Is there anything anyone can recommend?

OP
OP
M3d1C

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with all above ,do a water change ,add ammo reducer,keep fish floating ,when you get back w rock,do change add ammo drip acclimate clowns ,put them in ,they will be fine,as far as zoas freshwater dip in temperate water swish and add to tank ,then send us pics.. ps wash hands well after touching zoas.do not put any lfs water in tank put clowns in by hand no worries happy reefing
Ammo reducer as in the bottle of colony I have or like a bottle of actual ammonia reducer.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fw dip and dunk it will be fine

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to see how this turns out. Hopefully things will be fine and you (and your mom) can use this as a learning experience. Maybe use this to help educate your mom on the more complex particulars of reef keeping.

.... and then bring here to the dark side and have her start her own tank and become one of us here on R2R!!
oneofus.gif

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back