HELP! MY MOM BOUGHT ME FISH!!!

LarLarsLair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gift giving doesn't sound very big in your family I'm sorry lol.
As for lfs, none around me that I've asked will even consider returns for store credit... Most look at me like I'm crazy like I asked if I could store some ich in their systems or somethin

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't realize the store didn't take returns. I was so weirded out about a mother buying an adult son fish I didn't catch that part. I'm 40+ years old and I'm not about to buy my adult son parts for his hobby car! LOL!

I'm 38 and my dad is 60, were both in this hobby, I buy him frags all the time. And I get notifications that I'm getting deliveries from some coral vendors I didnt order. my dad buys stuff all the time for my tank. It's a hobby we share and when we see something the other would like we get it... not really sure why that's so weird.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean my parents bought fish for my tank a few times against my wishes. Mainly because the tank at the time was in their house but still, I don’t think it’s that weird.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gift giving doesn't sound very big in your family I'm sorry lol.
As for lfs, none around me that I've asked will even consider returns for store credit... Most look at me like I'm crazy like I asked if I could store some ich in their systems or somethin
Ya mine usually will be like we will take it but won’t give you anything. But I also think as your relationship with the store goes maybe that’ll change.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might seem obvious- but ammonia comes from decaying organic matter. Assuming there's no dead shrimp or something in your tank, all you need to do is water changes to eliminate the ammonia. Then feed very sparingly for a while, while the the bacteria populations grow.

Keep doing water changes. Adding a bit of live rock would help.

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't realize the store didn't take returns. I was so weirded out about a mother buying an adult son fish I didn't catch that part. I'm 40+ years old and I'm not about to buy my adult son parts for his hobby car! LOL!

I think it's more weird that a parent wouldn't buy a gift for their kid for a hobby they enjoy lol but hey, whatever.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate to be “that guy”, but I do NOT believe this one bit. Ammonia off the charts and everything is “fine”.

Sorry, but highly unlikely
true as can be know personally

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They really like that corner.

20200213_092252.jpg
awesome beautiful clowns divinchi in front extreme picasso rear prob female ,glad to hear everything worked out ,happy reefing

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The one on the left looks awesome with that weird face spot.

Signs to look out for that may be related to ammonia poisoning: labored breathing, red or puffy gills, swimming up to the surface to gulp oxygenated air.
cheek spot higher grade,mom spent a pretty penny on those clowns i'm sure ,happy reefing

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it made your mom really happy to give you those fish and zoas! I love buying surprises for my adult daughters.

It sounds like you have a solid plan in place. I have my fingers crossed for you. If you are in the SE WI area send me a pm. Ill help if i can.

OP
OP
M3d1C

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will clear a few things up. The LFS mom bought the clowns and zoa from were not rude and simply said their policy did not allow any returns or holds cause they didn't want to jeopardize their other livestock. Which I get and don't hold it against them. Also, when I was on the phone with them both of the people there told me that had mom said how new the tank was they would have told her to wait and sold her a gift card. Lol! So I hold nothing against them. Plus they are an hour and a half away from me. I will also reiterate how unbelievably impressed and grateful I am for this website, all of you, and your willingness to share your info and opinions! It has sparked new confidence for me in this hobby and I know I have an AMAZING resource as I grow. Finally, yes I'm an adult and yes my mom still buys me gifts.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will clear a few things up. The LFS mom bought the clowns and zoa from were not rude and simply said their policy did not allow any returns or holds cause they didn't want to jeopardize their other livestock. Which I get and don't hold it against them. Also, when I was on the phone with them both of the people there told me that had mom said how new the tank was they would have told her to wait and sold her a gift card. Lol! So I hold nothing against them. Plus they are an hour and a half away from me. I will also reiterate how unbelievably impressed and grateful I am for this website, all of you, and your willingness to share your info and opinions! It has sparked new confidence for me in this hobby and I know I have an AMAZING resource as I grow. Finally, yes I'm an adult and yes my mom still buys me gifts.
You’ll find that somehow this hobby is full of some of the most friendly people you’ll meet. (Mostly there’s always those 1%)
Everyone here is super knowledgeable some are even too knowledgeable for me lol but there’s lots to learn and different opinions on things but we all work to make the best place for our fish to live! I also appreciate the trading/selling forums on here makes it easy to upgrade!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well stated both you guys ,gotta love this place!!!

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so weird. Maybe I'm old school but a mom buying their kid, adult kid, a fish? I mean maybe? I mean this is all super weird to me. The easiest thing to have done would have been to return the fish to the store and the coral. Done, mom gets money back fish are OK. The fact you didn't tells me something else is going on here. Is the store like 200 miles away or something? I'm going to call my mom and ask her to buy me some fish, shes going to tell me to **** with that... LOL!

My parents just bought my husband and I a bunch of stuff for our tank and I’m 40. I don’t see anything wrong with that. I think it’s awesome that my parents actually care about our hobbies.:D

Iamjeff6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of parent supporting hobbies/ buying stuff. My parents especially my dad has always supported my hobbies.

When I got into racing RC cars he opened a racetrack, when I got into competitive shooting he took over a shooting range. Heck my dad bought me a power head the other week for my tank. Granted I did buy him an aquarium the other week and answer all his questions about it and help with setup and maintenance.

Funny thing though I was showing dad some coral prices and he said if I spent that much on them he’d never buy me anything again LOL.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like Seachem prime will take care of any possible ammonia, and nitrite in the early stages of introduction. Found at a local Petco or Petsmart.
It onlasts 24 hrs and it doesn't remove ammonia it changes it to a non lethal form. It's a stop gap just a product to by time. It works really well as a conditioner as well.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in my mid 40's and 80% of my wardrobe is Christmas or birthday gifts from my mother or wife ;Smuggrin

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom just showed up a few hours ago with 2 snowflake clownfish and what looks like a zoa coral for my tank as a gift. The problem with this is my tank is only a week old and not cycled yet! I have the fish and coral in their bags floating in the tank so they don't get cold but I just tested my tank and my ammonia is still 1ppm. I called the store she bought them at and asked if they would take them back for credit or quarantine them for me but they won't. A friend of mine suggested a 50% water change and a bottle of nitrifying bacteria. What should I do?!
Whatever you do don’t put them In the tank for too long. You can maybe add the clownfish but definitely not the coral. I would try to find Somone that has a cycled tank that would take it.

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine. With your water volume, I'd do large water changes (80-90%) every couple days for about a week. As long as you're dosing bacteria you'll end up cycling the tank in that time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back