Help my serpent star has a hole in his disk. What could be wrong?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a small rock i maybe move into the box but it’s pretty small. Not sure it would offer much
could work in box but more concerned about that flesh separation mentioned and another leg or two separating

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed yesterday my serpent star had a hole in his disk. Today it looks worse. Water conditions are normal. What could it be and can I help him?

IMG_8206.jpeg IMG_8207.jpeg IMG_8208.jpeg IMG_8205.jpeg
Either he isnt getting enough food or was injured, usually when they look like this they just fall apart in front of you and die. Very sad. I lost my star the other day when something in my tank bit him

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either he isnt getting enough food or was injured, usually when they look like this they just fall apart in front of you and die. Very sad. I lost my star the other day when something in my tank bit him
I’m pretty sad about it. I’m hoping he pulls through somehow

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could work in box but more concerned about that flesh separation mentioned and another leg or two separating
I was able to put him in the isolation box thing today but he looks worse than yesterday. I’m worried about the rest of the tank now if he’s dying in the water slowly:(

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was able to put him in the isolation box thing today but he looks worse than yesterday. I’m worried about the rest of the tank now if he’s dying in the water slowly:(
Fouling should not be an issue but if it continues to fall apart- make a decision

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How can I do that humanly ?
Into a zip lock bag and freeze until garbage day
The acclimation box should retain any of the star from falling into tank

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anything improved ?
Not improved really but doesn’t seem much worse. Was giving him some time to see if he can heal in the isolation box. Keeping him from getting messed with by the fish. Also making sure he’s getting some food mixed with some medication I got from the fish store. Don’t want to give up on him too soon but don’t want him to suffer.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not improved really but doesn’t seem much worse. Was giving him some time to see if he can heal in the isolation box. Keeping him from getting messed with by the fish. Also making sure he’s getting some food mixed with some medication I got from the fish store. Don’t want to give up on him too soon but don’t want him to suffer.
That's encouraging that it's at least not getting worse.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are amazing creatures for sure anf generally easy to keep happy and growing .

I’d question if something was picking at it or if there was enough food in the system for it to scavenge

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are amazing creatures for sure anf generally easy to keep happy and growing .

I’d question if something was picking at it or if there was enough food in the system for it to scavenge
He’s doing worse unfortunately

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
H

He looks worse today. I feel terrible don’t know what I should do
Its likely deteriorating and will not heal at this point as much as I hate to say. One thing bizarre with this hobby. . . . There are specimens that will satisfy and live for a novice reefer while the same will challenge the most experienced hobbyist

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its likely deteriorating and will not heal at this point as much as I hate to say. One thing bizarre with this hobby. . . . There are specimens that will satisfy and live for a novice reefer while the same will challenge the most experienced hobbyist
These particular stars I’ve always kept
But will say I added a black and white banded one in my system with the other 2
The black and white one … I think he’s gone as I’ve never seen even his tentacles sticking out anywhere

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back