Help my serpent star has a hole in his disk. What could be wrong?

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed yesterday my serpent star had a hole in his disk. Today it looks worse. Water conditions are normal. What could it be and can I help him?

IMG_8206.jpeg IMG_8207.jpeg IMG_8208.jpeg IMG_8205.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I spot feed him every week and I see him reach around and grab food sometimes
I’ve not had this particular type but I’ve had a green monster and a black/brown one. They both ate larger items, like small fish. The green one would eat live fish. Perhaps try him on some bigger foods, shrimp or something.

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not had this particular type but I’ve had a green monster and a black/brown one. They both ate larger items, like small fish. The green one would eat live fish. Perhaps try him on some bigger foods, shrimp or something.
Do you think I should leave him in the tank and hope for the best? I tried to feed him a little bit ago but he wouldn’t take it. Usually he does

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should leave him in the tank and hope for the best? I tried to feed him a little bit ago but he wouldn’t take it. Usually he does
Upto you, but I can say these things have an unbelievable ability to regenerate themselves if healthy. Mine were constantly chopping legs off in pumps, and growing them back. But eventually they fall to bits, like everything else. I wonder what @vetteguy53081 thinks? He must have had some.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honestly say I’ve never saw this .
I have 3 in my tank .
One brown one . One with black and white stripes and the other has weird bumps ….

I’ll attach a picture of the weird one .

They are all cool and eat like pigs but rarely ever seen other than tentacles sticking out for food

Attachments

• 71181392273__340C90C9-4A05-4703-B03E-994DDFB43239.jpeg
    71181392273__340C90C9-4A05-4703-B03E-994DDFB43239.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 34

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Noticed yesterday my serpent star had a hole in his disk. Today it looks worse. Water conditions are normal. What could it be and can I help him?

IMG_8206.jpeg IMG_8207.jpeg IMG_8208.jpeg IMG_8205.jpeg
I have seen this and I believe called distended disk syndrome and often does heal but seeing tissue falling apart expresses stress due to either water quality- starvation or both.
Its best chance of recovery/repair will be in an acclimation box as other fish pay pick at its exposed flesh. What youre seeing when i use the word flesh are individual plates reffered to as ossicles. These calcite ossicles are held together to form many armored plates that are covered by an outer skin covering.
Its a belief that they scavenge and eat detritus and waste but they need meats such as shrimp, clam, fish (non fatty), mussel, sinking pellets, and wafers.
If this is a newer tank, they often do not do well in newer systems similar to anemones. Water temp 75-78 with ph of 8.1-8.3 , salinity 1.024-1.025 and calcium 400-450

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good advice given above - it may or may not recover, but it’s worth a shot to offer it plenty of food and good water quality.
I have 3 in my tank .
One brown one . One with black and white stripes and the other has weird bumps ….

They are all cool and eat like pigs but rarely ever seen other than tentacles sticking out for food
The weird bumps are fun:
I have no idea why they have them, but it's normal and not disease/parasite caused. These are only found in specific rows of the arm spines in specific species/genera of brittle stars (sometimes only of certain ages, it seems), and one of the first researchers to describe them dissected these spines to check for parasites and found none. That said, they're called "claviform" (synonym for clavate - it simply means club-shaped) spines, and it seems no one (that I can find) has attempted to explain their purpose. Some species/specimens also have "furcated" (cleft/cloven) spines and/or "elongated" spines like this specimen in your picture has "claviform" ones. Again, to my knowledge, no one has attempted to describe the function of these spines. I'd be surprised if they didn't serve some sort of purpose, but I could only speculate on what that/those purpose(s) may be.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good advice given above - it may or may not recover, but it’s worth a shot to offer it plenty of food and good water quality.

The weird bumps are fun:
No idea why but they have many of the same species when I bought it .
Different from the regular black brittle stars or brownish serpents .

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in my tank .

I have a brittle star and sand star too. They both seem fine.

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this and I believe called distended disk syndrome and often does heal but seeing tissue falling apart expresses stress due to either water quality- starvation or both.
Its best chance of recovery/repair will be in an acclimation box as other fish pay pick at its exposed flesh. What youre seeing when i use the word flesh are individual plates reffered to as ossicles. These calcite ossicles are held together to form many armored plates that are covered by an outer skin covering.
Its a belief that they scavenge and eat detritus and waste but they need meats such as shrimp, clam, fish (non fatty), mussel, sinking pellets, and wafers.
If this is a newer tank, they often do not do well in newer systems similar to anemones. Water temp 75-78 with ph of 8.1-8.3 , salinity 1.024-1.025 and calcium 400-450
I do feed him shrimp, clams and sinking pellets. I rotate those. I see him grab them from behind a rock or I make sure to put the food right next to him. I tested my water today. Salinity was 1. 025. Temp 78 only thing off was ph 7.5. But for months now I couldn’t get the ph over 7.8. Even dosing reef fusion every few days. Ammonia was 0 and alk was 10.8 I did not test calcium. Not sure what to do for that test. But I do have a multi meter Hanna checker that does it

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in my tank .

This is a brown striped serpent star I think the store said.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what the difference between a serpent and brittle are
It depends on who you ask, but the general difference I’ve seen is that they’re called serpent stars if they don’t have any of the spines sticking off the legs, and they’re called brittle stars if they do. Both terms are used pretty interchangeably, though.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do feed him shrimp, clams and sinking pellets. I rotate those. I see him grab them from behind a rock or I make sure to put the food right next to him. I tested my water today. Salinity was 1. 025. Temp 78 only thing off was ph 7.5. But for months now I couldn’t get the ph over 7.8. Even dosing reef fusion every few days. Ammonia was 0 and alk was 10.8 I did not test calcium. Not sure what to do for that test. But I do have a multi meter Hanna checker that does it
Ph possibility and alk if this high (range is 8-11) may suggest low calcium but multimeter should cover CA. Isolation in an acclimation box will offer it best chance for healing and do not remove by holding legs which may break off in this condition -- scoop it
How old is your tank?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph possibility and alk if this high (range is 8-11) may suggest low calcium but multimeter should cover CA. Isolation in an acclimation box will offer it best chance for healing and do not remove by holding legs which may break off in this condition -- scoop it
How old is your tank?
I’d be worried about removing and adding to acclimation box. .
These are nocturnal creatures and will often hide under rocks .

Is this possible if in an acclimation box ?

They are clever creatures . It would also need to have a cover ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

acclimation boxes have covers (otherwise, fish would jump into tank from box LOL) and placement of cover like rocks would work. The reason is to prevent fish from picking at is wound. Acclimation box safest

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?
A little over 6 months old now. But it was an upgrade from a smaller tank that everything was moved from. So about a year total. I have a box my son had for his freshwater tank when they had babies. Could that work? Unfortunately one of the legs already came off but not because I picked it up or anything. I just saw it in the tank. I feel so bad for the poor thing.

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a small rock i maybe move into the box but it’s pretty small. Not sure it would offer much

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back