Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gfo may not be helping you.
fix algae nutrient absorption first

I actually removed the GFO a week ago when I saw the Hanna show 0.00

Hanna is still showing 0.00 and the Algea seems to have stayed stagnant.

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this^^^^^

my first dose ended up being 100ml in 24 hours to retain 3ppm no3. (granted. my volume is 300 gallons) your mileage may vary.

I've dosed around 30-40ml so far, I noticed a change on the API nitrate test, seems to be getting darker between the 0 and the 5ppm. I am also noticing the decrease in hair algae growth, I think its growth speed went down significantly. No water changes yet, but adding RO water every 2 days for top off. I am really happy with this tank reaction going on.. thanks so much for all help and write-ups, another lesson learned.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed around 30-40ml so far, I noticed a change on the API nitrate test, seems to be getting darker between the 0 and the 5ppm. I am also noticing the decrease in hair algae growth, I think its growth speed went down significantly. No water changes yet, but adding RO water every 2 days for top off. I am really happy with this tank reaction going on.. thanks so much for all help and write-ups, another lesson learned.

you arent the only one to have gha go away following redfield.

people call it chasing numbers, however results speak for themselves.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea regular and red sea pro if nitrates are below 2ppm

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert. Is the Red Sea kit color based? I'm color blind so the blue to purple transitions don't work to well for me lol....

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert. Is the Red Sea kit color based? I'm color blind so the blue to purple transitions don't work to well for me lol....
yeah it is color based.

even non-colorblind have difficulty. i have to use the recommended 6500k lamp to insure i get a proper reading.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you (Russ) point me in the right direction for some more reading on the subject of Cyano in relation to Po4 being higher then No3?
I've recently took my gfo offline. I always used it sparingly but noticed some nuseince algae, panicked (not something I normally do) and added new Gfo after just replacing it the week before, also adding a new scrubber about 2 weeks before that. Let just say I had a couple problems lol so I got ticked off and said screw Gfo I'm gonna try and maintain low Po4 readings with just my oversized skimmer and Ats. But since I took it off line I've had some dark red matting Cyano on my sand bed and I don't like it! I'm hoping maybe the above info is my problem. 1 month no Gfo and my Po4 is still 0.01-0.02 and my No3 is still reading 0 even though I'm not carbon dosing. Just the equipment I mentioned and 20% weekly water changes.
I'm now switching to biweekly water changes.
As a side note my Sps are super happy along with everything else. [emoji3]

Last edited:

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J&S, if your nitrate is truly 0 adding a little nitrate may help. I've noticed this in my tank several times, always when nitrate bottoms out and phosphate begins to climb. I start adding nitrate and phos drops and cyano improves with no other changes. I know it sounds counter intuitive but I've witnessed this several times in my own tank.

I do want to be clear, I'm not telling everyone out there to go and start dosing nitrate. What I am saying is that dosing nitrate MAY be a solution to a very specific problem....

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna for phosphates and API for nitrate. I just make sure the API test shows some yellow orange color at all times or else I dose some potassium nitrate.

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, after reading this and noticing that my SPS have looked a little pale in the last few weeks (paler than normal), I wanted to ask if you guys had any tips for how to bring phosphates and nitrates up from both being at or very very close to zero (both salifert test kits read zero when tested) without causing an algae bloom, etc

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do..
For no3 dose
For po4 feed the fish or add more fish
I seem to get what I need for po4 from the foods I feed

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back