Help- my sump pipes are leaking

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve set up a CADE 900, my emergency drain, and return line are leaking at the base of the tank. I’ve got seals on both sides of the glass - and they are hand tightened. Any ways to stop leaks all together? Should I put silicone around the bases at the bottom? I was told sumps are easier than canister filters FD4FDF5D-5C1E-4934-B8B0-84E4FDFC3DFD.jpeg F52A95CB-D4CB-419C-A75D-3D6080061833.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give Cade a shout - they can probably help you resolve this in short order (just in case something is amiss, as hand tightening should be sufficient).

i bought it second hand so i don’t believe there are any faults. it’s difficult to get to the back of the tank too where the pipes are. i’ll have a go with some silicone :)

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought it second hand so i don’t believe there are any faults. it’s difficult to get to the back of the tank too where the pipes are. i’ll have a go with some silicone :)

As @blaxsun said they should seal just fine with hand tight.

If they don't you may want to check the grommets and bulkheads. Any damage to either could allow water to leak through. Also ensure the bottom of the tank where the bulkheads go is clean and free of any debris. A piece of sand or something under the bulkhead/grommet could also lead to a slow leak.

Silicone is the easy fix, but it will make your life harder when/if you ever need to replace a bulkhead.

The Molykote mentioned above I'd use over silicone. It would seal and not be permanent. It's easily removes when you want it gone down the road unlike silicone.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my ELOS tank, I applied little bit of silicone and my slow dripping stopped.
Just keep in mind, not all tanks are the same fix.

silly y.jpg

Molykote - yes!

I wouldn't use actual silicone though, it will stop a leak - yes, but down the road when you need it removed it's going to suck!

Molykote is a better alternative to silicone for bulkheads.

Aquaplumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I would be draining and replacing the rubbers, gasket rubbers are easy to find at the hardware store, as with old rubbers they can stiffen and loose there integrity. A light smear of tank safe silicone on both sides of the rubber gasket can act as an extra precaution to leaks also.
Just adding silicon to an already leaking fitting is a poor choice and in my experience doesnt last long.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back