Help. My water reservoir (garbage bin type thing) which I use to mix, pump and heat my rodi water before a water change.

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I woke up, and heard bubbling, I open up the top of the garbage bin and it’s litterally boiling. I’m freaking out. My heater must have just shut itself in the nighttime as I’ve done this routine 1000 times. I was told by the owner and very knowledgeable of a good Reef store to let it cool down and it will be fine, I’m just wondering is this everyone’s feelings ? Thank you ! Highest I cooked was 108 degrees lol

image.jpg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Should be fine as some people boil salt water to sterilize it for culturing pods and phyto.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine as some people boil salt water to sterilize it for culturing pods and phyto.
Wow I didn’t know that! And yes honestly after doing it seems like one of the healthiest reactions to a water change I’ve ever had.. everything is flourishing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I didn’t know that! And yes honestly after doing it seems like one of the healthiest reactions to a water change I’ve ever had.. everything is flourishing

Boiling seawater is a very bad idea for reef tank use. You will precipitate calcium carbonate from it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back