HELP NEEDED - MUSHROOMS AREN'T HAPPY

Gratefyl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!!! We bought some mushrooms from a fella with a 29 gal bio cube tank that looked like picture 1....and transferred them to our 120 gal. It has been 3 days so far and they still look like picture 2. They are/were gorgeous and we want them to live obviously so we are wondering whether we just need to be patient until they come around or whet we need to change something quickly.....Advice??

Screenshot_20210118-112046_Messenger.jpg 20210117_115612.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gratefyl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will check the parameters...We did a drip method for acclimation adding water from our tank to buckets of his water over about an hour. Apologies for not having this information together before posting!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As well as water chemistry parameters what kind of par where they sitting in when you bought them?
Judging from picture it looks like they are in your tank in much higher par/light intensity.
Its always best to set them in low light low flow area until they acclimate to your tank.
Find a dark corner with low flow to set that rock in to allow them to acclimate.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As well as water chemistry parameters what kind of par where they sitting in when you bought them?
Judging from picture it looks like they are in your tank in much higher par/light intensity.
Its always best to set them in low light low flow area until they acclimate to your tank.
Find a dark corner with low flow to set that rock in to allow them to acclimate.

Good call on checking light also LRT. Take a look at the pic again at the shrooms under the rock - they look to be dripping down. Have you ever seen that before? At least those 2 should be in the shade I would think...

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few mushrooms myself. From the bit of experience I have with them I can say to first get them used to "your" tank,meaning put them lowest down to substrate possible and also where they are not blasted / too much flow. Mine are all at an area of lower flow and all on a rock at the bottom by the substrate (further from light). Generally mushrooms like lower light and lower flow. They can go higher in the tank with more light but this must be done gradually.

Well this is just general guidelines i can give on placement issues if we don't take the water chemistry into place just yet. Also mushrooms are really hardy so the water chemistry can play a role but shouldn't be too much of a problem if all the basics are in place. This is just my opinion, not saying chemistry is not important, it definitely is, so not stepping on anyones toes here i hope.

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few mushrooms myself. From the bit of experience I have with them I can say to first get them used to "your" tank,meaning put them lowest down to substrate possible and also where they are not blasted / too much flow. Mine are all at an area of lower flow and all on a rock at the bottom by the substrate (further from light). Generally mushrooms like lower light and lower flow. They can go higher in the tank with more light but this must be done gradually.

Well this is just general guidelines i can give on placement issues if we don't take the water chemistry into place just yet. Also mushrooms are really hardy so the water chemistry can play a role but shouldn't be too much of a problem if all the basics are in place. This is just my opinion, not saying chemistry is not important, it definitely is, so not stepping on anyones toes here i hope.
Also just give them some time to adjust. Place them low in the tank away from those higher PAR Values and generally lower area of flow and see how they do in a few days time. It needs to adjust so give it about a week and see then. Hope this helps

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on checking light also LRT. Take a look at the pic again at the shrooms under the rock - they look to be dripping down. Have you ever seen that before? At least those 2 should be in the shade I would think...
Hey Reefer! I've had shrooms do similar things just moving them around on my tables into higher intensity light as opposed to riding the outskirts in indirect light.
I try to kinda judge mine by starting with new shrooms in lowest light/flow intensity on my tables during acclimation. Once they settle in and start opening up ill start creeping them in to find sweet spot.
I try to judge how they act under light when finding sweet spot. Cupping and reaching usually means to little. Laying down tells me they have what they need.
That being said though temps and salinity could also be causing them to shrivel.
I'm guessing too much light tho.

OP
OP
G

Gratefyl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!! I put them in the bottom in a corner!

We prob need an expert in the long run as we have a decently healthy tank...in terms of happy fish and leathers, but zoas never grow and often disappear... nothing really flourishes. :( Side note, our 3 year old brittle just separated and all his legs are walking around the tank with no body or way to eat. Things are a bit odd right now....

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the current water parameters.
20210118_193925.jpg
IMO the PH is rather low. I know of people saying once their pH drops to 7.8 lots of their corals close up and even loose tissue. Try and get it over 8.0, 8.3 is the sweet spot. Also Ca and Mg is low, increase it to around 430ppm and 1300ppm respectively. Do this gradually though over couple of days not all at once as it can be a massive shock to the fish and corals

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back