OP
drebay

drebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - the fish has impaired vision, but is not totally blind. Its coloration seems darkened (like night time) and I saw it bump the black egg crate, but it is navigating the PVC pipes very well, and its eyes are focusing and glancing around (I think you mentioned that).

The sudden shift from eating to not is the huge issue. I know people will say, "use Selcon, add garlic, etc." but in my experience, when a fish has a sudden cessation of feeding, simple enticements will not correct the issue.

The only thing I can think of to try is this: light the tank a bit better to try and overcome its sigh impairment. Then, add some live baby brine shrimp, and leave the room with your phone recording a video. If it doesn't eat any baby brine, then it truly is off its feed.

I still cannot tell you why it went off its feed though, sorry!

Jay
Thanks Jay. I really appreciate your input on this. I’ve taken your advice and set up a light and will be able to get some live brine today. Unfortunately it appears the vision impairment issue persists about the same. But what I have noticed is that it comes out and swims around more so than previously including in the water column. While it’s movement’s are still cautious it did react to the smell of food when mysis was offered though I haven’t been able to confirm it ate. Hoping these are good signs. My question is I am due to dose the third round of Parzi today and I’m not sure how to triage its current condition with the third course. In your opinion do I delay Parzi to try and address the current situation? What is your suggestion about how best to go about this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I really appreciate your input on this. I’ve taken your advice and set up a light and will be able to get some live brine today. Unfortunately it appears the vision impairment issue persists about the same. But what I have noticed is that it comes out and swims around more so than previously including in the water column. While it’s movement’s are still cautious it did react to the smell of food when mysis was offered though I haven’t been able to confirm it ate. Hoping these are good signs. My question is I am due to dose the third round of Parzi today and I’m not sure how to triage its current condition with the third course. In your opinion do I delay Parzi to try and address the current situation? What is your suggestion about how best to go about this?

I don't think the prazi is a contributing factor to the eye issue, but I also don't see a compelling reason to dose it a third time. I would skip it for now and concentrate on getting it feeding again.

With less active species of "blind" fish, people have been able to forcep or stick feed the fish. I don't think it will work on this species, but you could try?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back